Regenerating spin (side style to front)

Do you use different ways? Any favorite binds before transitioning?
What’s easiest for you, linking vids would help

I can do this, but am open to new ideas. I’m finding it’'s harder on my least responsive yo-yos, and shape has an effect as well.

Find it’s much easier for me to regen from front style to side for some reason. Maybe it’s me.

Also, did anyone find playing responsive made them better at regens on unresponsive play? I don’t have any responsive yo-yos now, maybe it’s time to put some time into regens for fun.

8 Likes

i started on a responsive yoyo while i waited for my first yoyo (N12) to arrive and yes i found Regens to be easier on responsive and then i tried unresponsive and it wasn’t as hard as it would be if i just started on unresponsive

4 Likes

Absolutely playing fixed axle helped my unresponsive regen game a lot. As far as the side style to front style regen, I have two that I go to a bunch. The first is binding and while the yoyo is returning doing the regen. The second is doing the side style bind, catching the returning yoyo in a trapeze stall and doing the regen out of that.

Of course, from side style you can transition to front style with a 1/2 turn gyroscopic flop.

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

“transition to front style with a 1/2 turn gyroscopic flop”

I never thought of that!! Is this something most players should have thought of? I’m slow lol.:crazy_face:

I wonder what other basics I’m missing.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say you are slow, it clicked for me when I did a half rotation gyro (from a breakaway) and then needed to bind as if I threw front style. After thinking about what was going on, it made sense.

Also, the trapeze stall can work with even very aggressive V or H shapes, but, it is trickier (no wall to hold the yoyo steady - with my Hideyoshi it almost felt like a kendama balancing trick).

1 Like

you can regen off of any bind - some work better than others of course, just experiment!

ghost bind is great for regens, as with any “whip” binds - and it looks SIQ
yoyo shape greatly affects your success rate for a “clean” regen…think O vs. V

2a has benefitted me most with my 1a regens tbh

5 Likes

They are fun, I’m going to experiment more.

I’m thinking the more ways you know to regenerate spin, the better.

Haven’t had much success from the “sky bind,” but I’ll try again. It’s easier from some sort of stall. There are binds that act like a stall, even though the yo-yo is spinning. No time to explain now, but basically from here:

You get a little spinning “stall” if you know what I mean.

Like Zach Gormely’s 2015 worlds routine?

The bind in question begins at 3:25.

Regen a Guy Wright bind from a breakaway. Feels gewd

2 Likes

This is good for newer players who haven’t tried it. Can be tricky.

1 Like