Recommendation for 10yr olds

Hey y’all my first post. Figured I’d come to the experts. Anyways I’m almost 40 and haven’t touched a yo-yo in probably 25 years. Anyways my son comes home from school the other day with an imperial Duncan and he wants to learn.
I was going to buy him one and of course went down the rabbit hole ended up ordering an iiceberg for myself because well why not. Anyways do you guys have any recommendations for kids around the age of 10. The best ones to learn on? I searched and found a few but figured I’d ask the pros thanks guys

5 Likes

There are few options out there, my personal vote goes to the iYoyo shooting star. I still play it and love it, it’s a machined polycarbonate yo-yo, it will be able to take a lot of abuse.
It also comes with both responsive and unresponsive bearings to help the progression

6 Likes

The I yoyo passion is a great learning yoyo it comes with responsive and unresponsive bearings as well.
It’s on sale on yoyoexpert

4 Likes

I’d say shooting star too. It plays great I still use mine all the time. The iyoyo passion is great too but it’s metal. Not sure if that’s safe for a 10 year old or not I don’t have kids. Both come with unresponsive and responsive bearings.

4 Likes

FH1 (full sentence)

5 Likes

Welcome!

There are so many…

Snap Back from Yoyo Expert.

Arrow By Yoyo Factory

One by Yoyo Factory

Sage by Yoyofactory

Origen by Throwback Skills

If you are up for a read; Beginners Journey

My 10 Year old; Loved the YYF One intitially, then gravitated to the YYF Arrow. He now enjoysa split between the YYF DV888 and the Trowback Skills Origen. He steals some on “My” yoyos sometimes and enjoys those also.

Have fun

5 Likes

See if he enjoys the Iceberg you got for yourself. As long as it’s played over a rug or carpet, it should be fine.

5 Likes

You’ve come to the right place. Pretty much anything Duncan at this point.

2 Likes

Almost too many to even list……there are some very good online resources and yoyoexpert.com of course! All less than $30 all!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy!!

2 Likes

I do have a normal question for daddy Dennis here…?
What will you introduce your young 10 yr old to first?
Responsive play or unresponsive play?? Just curious
Daddio?

2 Likes

I think it depends on the level of interest they show.

If they already have friends playing and they already dream of pulling tricks, yeah straight unresponsive.

But if it is a new thing, and there is a danger that frustration will prevail over curiosity, then responsive all the way.

2 Likes

In my opinion the best Yoyo for him would be the snapback. It is perfect for responsive tricks and you are also able to do unresponsive tricks on it. It can also spin for a really long time.

3 Likes

Ive seen it on here already but the YYF Arrow or the Sage ( same yoyo) is the perfect fit. Its inexpensive, has a cool look, finger spin capability, comes with responsive and unresponsive bearings, and its plastic so if he cracks himself it wont bleed or break a finger.
Ive given my nephew (11) several nice yoyos but he always carries the arrow, although he did graduate to unresponsive.
Cant go wrong.

4 Likes

I agree that the snapback is a fantastic beginner yoyo but it is a responsive yoyo. It just comes with a size A bearing and has a starburst response system. I just don’t want OP to think that the snapback can switch between responsive and unresponsive like some of the other options ppl have suggested.

2 Likes

Welcome!

As someone that started with a FHZ, I would highly recommend an FH1!

P.S.: please please please just make sure you provide the right delivery address when you’re buying your yoyo :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

the yoyofactory dv888 gets a lot of heat for being bricky, but it’s what a lot of kids, and even adults, learn on. folks can say there are better options, but the dv888 is consistent.

1 Like

Buy him a TiSS.

Give him the best then he will not demand other yo-yo anymore, otherwise he will build a yoyo wall in future just like us.

3 Likes

For sure responsive play. He’s never used one before. He’s got the old imperial to sleep for the first time last night so we’ll see where it goes from there. Now my 8yr old daughter has one now as well and no one in the neighbor hood is safe. :joy:

2 Likes

I started my kids with responsives. Quick hit wins on throwing Garvity Pull and get it back. Followed by Sleeper. They then can start the picture tricks.

Another key piece of advice; Buy a Bundle (100) poly strings.

Kids are disgusting creatures. Their strings get messed up quick. They dont understand adjusting the tension for a while too. I found it easier to just replace and re-tie their strings frequently.

My son has tried unresponsive, but gets frustrated quick and just goes back to his responsives. Note: your kid may/will be different.

Have fun.

3 Likes