RAVE: YYO's new bi-metal

http://i.imgur.com/KK5BeIt.jpg

Specs:
Diameter: 55mm
Width: 44mm
Weight: 65g

6061 aluminum with stainless steel rims.

Looks: 9/10
The engraving is on point, nothing too tacky. I got the silver one to get my bling on,
and the red/black/gold for Ironman reasons.
The finish is crazy smooth, grinds forever.

On a throw : 8.5/10

1st throw with this guy, I got a bit confused. It feels so light while sitting on my hand
but seems to summon a ton of spin from SOMEWHERE when you throw down.
Totally crazy feeling, it zips around fast and light that I was expecting it to run out of inertia anytime soon, but it just goes on and on and on and on…
Even at low RPM’s, this guy stays straight on its axis.

The Philippine National Yoyo Contest just concluded,
and I nabbed 1st place during 5a prelims with a 1 minute - 1 throw combo on this thing.

Comparisons : 8/10

I tried a bunch of bimetal yoyos during the weekend to get a feel of the landscape and here are my Impressions when compared to the Rave.

Anglam - The anglam feels more solid, yet the Rave outspins it by a large margin.

Draupnir - the draupnir definitely plays faster, but feels too light when balanced against a counterweight. Spin time is on par, and the Rave feels more solid. Can’t really tell which is better, If you want to go with insane speed, go with the Draupnir. If you want something more solid and lets you get through that long combo, go with the Rave.

Leviathan 7 - feels crazy close to each other, they might be brothers. The Rave feels like a lighter Lev7; the Leviathan feels like a heavier Rave. I like the play of both equally.

Durability: 10/10
I’ve been smacking the Rave on tiles and hard concrete all week.
The stainless steel rims are hard to mark.
The rims stay firmly in place, a little sandpaper to smoothen the burrs and it spins true again.
Fingernail test after a week of solid 5a play results in minimal vibe. Crazy.

Conclusion: 8.9/10
If you want something light and zippy but spins for dayssss, get the Rave.
Highly recommended purchase. Hits the wallet not as hard as the others out there

1 Like

My Rave will be coming in tomorrow. As far so bimetal yoyos go, I have a YYJ H3X, Axis Pulsefire (I highly recommend this throw), and a Space Cowboy to compare it to .

Looking forward to throwing mine around soon!

Mine came in yesterday, of course after I left work (had my goods shipped to work since I don’t want to leave stuff laying out at home). Did a couple throws this morning before starting work but will try it out more on break.

First impressions, I’m pleased. Feels light in the hand and a little less solid than my Pulsefire (I think the Pulsefire’s 7075 aluminum?) but when you throw it, it feels like it gains an extra 2 grams and feels pretty solid. Didn’t do much with it yet since I was half awake throwing it. Colors look great (I did the blue/light blue/clear acid wash).

Update: Man, this thing has a lot of pep, spins long, pretty nimble, butter smooth.

Minor nitpick when putting it next to my $40 Quash is the noticeable machine marks. Doesn’t affect play but kind of funny that a cheaper yoyo’s finish is a little more complete. Still a great throw and I recommend.