Prices are getting out of hand!

I guess when you make 50 at a time it cost more. Keep people fighting to be able to buy the newest model first. I wonder how many Red RBC would have sold if they had more? Might have been able to reduce the prices. Cheaper to make less but at a higher price. Then let us fight to be able to get one.

3 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

9 Likes

The RBC was easily one of the largest runs of any boutique yoyo I’ve ever seen. Literally dozens of each color on YYE, not to mention how many were sold on other retail sites (some even still in stock), and direct.

11 Likes

I mean yeah, higher quantity usually equals lower cost… BUT most of these yoyo companies (especially the smaller ones) don’t have the capital to throw at large run sizes OR don’t want to take the risk of either a large portion of them coming back as b-grades and having to sell them at a loss, or not being able to sell that huge run that they overestimated demand for. It’s a tough balancing act.

I’m sure (mostly due to them actually saying this) that most yoyo companies want their throws in the hands of as many people as possible, but they have to be financially wise so their brand doesn’t go extinct. We’re in the realm where the businesses are so niche, that literally one run going bad (or getting lost - just ask @TSAF, luckily he recovered) could wipe the company off the map, unfortunately. They’re trying their best man.

17 Likes

Doing production runs based on pre-orders seems very unpopular with small yoyo companies, and I don’t quite understand why.

5 Likes

For lack of a better word, fighting to get one excites me

8 Likes

@G2_Jake said in one of his most recent videos (where he reflects on the hugely successful G2sday) that he can see a little better now that many people prefer preorders. Not always the way to go though, since people don’t like waiting, etc. There are definitely pros and cons to doing a preorder for both the manufacturer and the consumer.

4 Likes

For boutique items waiting is just part of the process. Consumers understand this. Well, mature consumers do. I don’t see the virtue of avoiding a perfectly good (perhaps superior) process just because some people can’t handle it with maturity.

3 Likes

7 Likes

We get Onedrop to do the machining for all of the brands

8 Likes

7 Likes

Well, this isn’t cutting-edge engineering that nobody knows how to do properly. It should not be that difficult to do decent projections for quality. Particularly difficult materials, like titanium, or unusually bizarre designs that completely challenge the machining process are another matter. But for 99% of the yoyos being released, it should not be difficult to figure out what percentage of overrun you need to cover Q&A issues. If you can’t get a reasonably accurate estimate for A-grades from your machinist or anodizer then you need a better machinist or anodizer.

6 Likes

8 Likes

I’m glad everything else we buy doesn’t use their manufacturing model. Here is some gas, when it sells out we “might” send some more. Better buy it now while we have it! LOL

1 Like

Even though we recovered, it was a rough/stressful few weeks. Really glad it wasn’t the end of Throwing Sideways. :pray:

9 Likes

There’s a lot of reasons. I started to type this out but it was just going to be too long. I’ll try to get a full video made soon.

But pre orders work well if limited or if you’re a smaller brand. It’s easy to prep for under 100. After that it kind of becomes a bit of a nightmare.

11 Likes

Totally agree with this.

2 Likes

I also wonder this!

We will be making more reds this year. Just need to figure out what the rest of a 2nd run will look like, and finish some other yoyo projects in the meantime.

24 Likes

I think its a modern classic. I hope you guys are fortunate enough to keep making runs and having more people experience it, even if it is only is 1 more run. :love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

3 Likes