Post your Dioramas!

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

3 Likes

Just got back from my trip to these beauties. Lots of you know I’m a Panorama collector/connoisseur of sorts, so I had pretty high expectations and thought the Panorama was hard to beat. Well… my first impression is that the Diorama is the Panorama absolutely perfected. I didn’t think it could get any better, but it totally did. I’m so in love with how it feels and was really surprised at how different the two models play/feel. As @OlHandyJenkins said, I would totally be able to tell them apart blindfolded, they’re that different - so if anyone who owns a Panorama already is on the fence about getting one, do it. And if you’ve tried the Panorama and weren’t a fan, I really encourage you to pick one of these up and give it a shot! One Drop and @sakatuca really knocked this thing out of the park, and I look forward to picking up a couple more of these (hopefully I can snag a clear here pretty quick!)

Here’s the SM and Blue I managed to cop. The blue is gonna be sent off to be YWET style halfswapped here pretty soon, so I’m really excited about that.

Here’s a comparison between my SM Panorama (left) and the Diorama (right).

And last but not least, my complete Panorama/Diorama family as of January 13.

24 Likes

What are the differences you notice that are so significant? I dont feel much difference in stability or power (which I would have expected from a “boosted” design), it just plays a little lighter and faster. I can hardly tell the difference between them on the string except for the fact that I have a DS in one and the OD10 in the other.

4 Likes

Besides the pretty obvious weight reduction and zippiness you mentioned (which are two of my favorite changes), the Diorama feels MUCH less dense to me. Panorama has what feels like a lot more center/mid weight, whereas the Diorama’s weight feels quite a bit more evenly distributed to me… or at least, distributed better somehow. The Panorama, a yoyo I would never even think to describe as “clunky,” somehow almost now feels “clunky” in comparison to the Diorama. And a big factor for me is the change from 6061 to 7075… I’ve seen some people saying that 7075 has no real noticeable difference over 6061, and I could NOT disagree more. Not only is 7075 a hell of a lot more durable than 6061, but it has such a much more “premium” high end feel to me. I have always felt that a yoyo designed in 7075 feels slicker, smoother and higher quality than its 6061 counterpart, and that definitely applies for me here as well.

7 Likes

As a machinist, the difference between 6061 and 7075 is huge, totally different alloys, anyone who claims they are the same are obviously uneducated in metallurgy, pay no mind.

6 Likes

Interesting considering that 7075 Al is denser than 6061. As for the finish, I always figured the smoother finish on 7075 was due to the hardness. Finishing techniques would have more of an effect on 6061.
I don’t have either of these yoyos yet, but I think the next run may have my name on it!

5 Likes

It has to do with zinc content mostly. For reference , you can weld on 6061, you cannot weld on 7075.

3 Likes

Having read everything you just wrote, I actually agree with all of it. It definitely feels like a more optimal weight distribution, more fun and maneuverable. All while being margianlly more stable, powerful, and fast. I guess I just don’t have as much time with the Panorama to judge as closely as you.

I 100% agree about the 7075 aluminum as well. It feels nicer in the hand, and has a better ring when spinning.

5 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

Thank you for your post great diorama works!!
I will also post my diorama in a diorama in a few days.

10 Likes

Yes please!

3 Likes

7 Likes

Sweet collection. I’m looking forward to seeing the YWET diorama next to the baped panorama. The shinier finish on the Diorama just looks so good, but I’ve always been more partial to glossy yoyos over blasted. The shine off One Drops‘s finish, especially in 7075, seems like a nice middle ground.

8 Likes

After a night of playing the hell out of the Diorama and Panorama, I have officially concluded that the Diorama is for me. My SM Panorama will be on the BST soon, just have to take some recent pictures tonight.

2 Likes

The shinier finish, and the fact that my SM Diorama spins like a shitny, lightly tinted clear are two of the reasons why its my fav of the two lol

5 Likes

I think I prefer the Diorama too, but mine was a little snaggy on the string, might try thinner string after the stock one wears out.

2 Likes

New OD pads can be a little a snaggy initially, it should settle down a bit as they break in.

2 Likes

Lol you do you, but I’d recommend you give it a bit more time and hold on to it for a bit. I often find that my impressions of a yoyo can change gradually over time. You don’t want to regret getting rid of it, especially since it could be hard to get another.

3 Likes

I have limited space on my shelf, I don’t want a huge collection and these are way too similar to justify both. Appreciate your words of caution though <3

1 Like