Positives and negatives of reviewing yoyos

My family is known for having superior navels too.

My cousin used to sell looks at his particularly fine navel to local University students at .25 a look. It didn’t take him long to get candy money. He eventually got busted by the U police and was forced to retire the scheme.

Best navel ever. Too bad it was before cell phones. It would have gone viral.

1 Like

Do it, man! Review stuff you buy. Or you can review something your friend has and lets you borrow for a week. I value a “normal person” review over a company describing the awesomeness of their own product because how can the maker of a yoyo be objective in describing their own product? Of course, no one’s opinion of a yoyo will be definitive.

1 Like

Love the sarca-risma.

A few years back; Chris Rhoads used to review all kinds of yoyos on the Highspeedyoyo site.

In one of our many conversations; he told me he was loaned yoyos for reviews.

I asked him about reviewing yoyos for free? He told me it was the most obvious way to expect a fair and impartial review.

Personally I wouldn’t expect free yoyos. But I think if I wanted to add a ‘reviewed’ yoyo to my collection; the Maker should give me a better than retail deal.

Now; I never didn’t believe what Chris had told me. But I sure did find out he really wasn’t kidding me.

Before Steve Buffel at SPYY yoyo retired; he had sent a yo-yo to Chris for review. The yoyo was called the Flying V. Really nice yoyo when it came out… And still ‘is’ a good playing yoyo today😳

I had read The High Speed Yoyo review and I was inspired to buy one.

Anyway; I just happened to get a ‘funny one’. It just had this quirky attitudinal vibe.
I contacted Steve(a good friend) and let him know I got a funny one. Since I was pretty much a known modding machine; way back then; Steve knew I wasn’t dreaming.

So he got back to me and told me ‘he had one out in the field’ and he would have it sent to me. So… here I am; expecting a replacement Flying V from Canada in two or three weeks. Amazingly; I got the replacement Flying V in about a week! And it wasn’t from Canada. <> kinda puzzled me.

I contacted Chris and asked him why ‘he’ sent me a Flying V?

He told me it had been on loan from SPYY; for a yo-yo review. Turned out it was the only spare V Steve was aware of.So he contacted Chris and told him to send the review yo-yo to me.

At first I felt kinda bad. And I related that to Chris. But Chris told me not to sweat it because technically; the yoyo was not his.

… Now back when Chris Allen was doing reviews; when the Makers let him keep the review yoyo; often Chris would have some kind of challenge/puzzling problem contest. And give the review yo-yo to the Winner.

I honestly do watch video yoyo reviews. Not really to learn more about the subject yoyo.

I just like to add up the umms, uhhs those guys can say in just a few minutes of giving a review, lol.

5 Likes