Playing with bearing shields on or off?

I’m just kind of curious. Does playing with a yoyo with bearing shields on differ from if you were to play with one without?

2 Likes

The shields offer slightly more protection from dust or whatever getting in the bearing but thats about it.

A lot of people, myself included, just keep the shields off. More convenient and it looks nicer.

3 Likes

Pretty much what andy said. It shouldn’t noticeably affect play. I always de-shield mine before cleaning, and re-shield them after. It’s not that hard to put them back together, just takes a careful hand and practice.

I use to do the same to my skateboard bearings back in the day, but to an even further extent… I’d take the whole thing apart (spacer, ball bearings, and center race) and clean every single part individually. I was kind of obsessed with thoroughly cleaning bearings lol. For the record, I don’t do that any more. It’s not necessary to go that far with it lol

2 Likes

Take em off and leave em off! Seems like almost every time a bearing starts screaming, once the shields are off its quiet again. Also, seems like horizontal play makes bearings with shields scream as well, but once the shields come off no noise. Good Luck!

3 Likes

On competition yoyos, I take the shields off to reduce center weight. On other yoyos, I may leave them on to add a bit more center weight. If I want to add just a bit of center weight, I leave one shield on.

5 Likes

Myk_Myk - seriously??

2 Likes

:rofl: I looked at my calendar wrong. I thought it was April 1st!

This is one of those perennial topics that people end up going around and around on. I couldn’t resist a bit of levity with an absurd angle on it.

5 Likes

That’s so funny myk, I completely bought that.

4 Likes

Off allday

1 Like