PGM bearing spacer removal

As the title says, how would I remove the bearing spacer off of the PGM’s bearing? I need to clean it as it has some gunk in it making it as responsive as a looper. Or do I just soak it with the spacer attached?

You will need to wedge a thin metal object between the bearing and the spacer and patiently work the two pieces away from each other. This can be a razor blade, a pin/needled or even a small flathead screwdriver. Don’t rush, take your time, it can take a bit of time, but usually not more than 5 minutes.

1 Like

I did get it removed but kind of dinged up my spacer a bit (small indentations from the needle). So far, it doesn’t seem to affect play. I did have a scary moment though when the tip of the needle broke, lodged between the spacer and bearing. I moved to something a little more durable being a push pin (as I saw on YYF’s youtube channel a while ago). I think next time, I should probably go for a razor blade instead so it’s not so much pressure on a small area.

And I meant to check on that electrical contact cleaner earlier at Lowes when I was there.

Yea a needle is a bit too flimsy. I think a razor blade might be too thin aswell, I use a pocket knife by wedging the knife in between the the bearing and spacer than pushing blade down hard on a table. Usual works for me atleast.

1 Like

Or you could clean the whole setup, bearing and spacers at the same time.

So how do you get the gunk out and dry it with the spacers attached? That’s a tighter seal than leaving the shields on to clean it.

Electrical contact cleaner. That stuff penetrates everything. I cleaned my bearing while it was still in the yoyo…

Yes, but how do you get it out. It’s still basically sealed.

It dissolves the dirt so fine that it comes right out…