Permatex 22074 Ultra Grey for very unresponsive return system

fyi the yoyos I sent you have this exact silicone on em

4 Likes

Mate not only I thank you for discover this silicone and bring it around but also because your nickname literally means “I am cheese” in Italian, I do not know why you choose that but we are all cheese a little bit!

8 Likes

Consider me inspired, I’m going to pick some up for myself tomorrow

2 Likes

Thanks for the pictures. I’ve always had problems with the clear stuff. Definitely trying the grey now.

I agree and confirm your experience, silicone is very slow to dry (as I said, I’m used to Motorsil which is almost solid in 20 minutes and the yoyo is playable in 45 minutes. More than 24 hours are needed… an unacceptable time for my habits. … and since patience is not one of my main virtues… pads (I didn’t even remember having General-Yo’s ones).

such a long drying time would also be a problem for Permatex I think… most of the pads have too violent and dry responses, however the possibility of being able to play again with the yoyo in a few minutes is a great advantage

4 Likes

I think you did alright with the application!

3 Likes

Thanks Glen, I don’t like the little spots on the silicone and I did a bit of a hole in one cause a bit of air, I was practicing yoyo but now I sit down to silicone some more, this is the C3 after couple of hours of play, it smooth out nicely (except the little holes which is my fault)

5 Likes

Just did all my “main throw” or the yoyos that I use everyday.

The QI is the first, second the Krown and third the Gtr-JS

As you can see the last one the JS is the one done better, the Krown and the JT are easier cause the shape but probably I am getting also used again to siliconing slowly slowly, is important to pass the card only once and not couple of times because there is where it start to create those little bumps, I am pretty sure this time I avoided air bubbles so will be not a problem once dried and smooth out with a bit of playing, will post the result once I consume all the surface playing and now let’s go and record a trick video!

On the C3 I can still confirm best response system I have ever tried

5 Likes

I wonder if knocking the yoyo on the table would pop some bubbles.

3 Likes

Is this right or does it have to be the maximum torque version? @IoSonoFormaggio tha k you high overlord or anyone else that knows!

Edit googled the tech sheets and 82194 is good I’m doing a couple yos today les goooooo

7 Likes

I would say no, the silicone is very dense, the air gets trapped inside

1 Like

Sad to have these two out for 48 hrs bc it’s raining again and I want to make sure they cure good

7 Likes

This thread makes me happy, say goodbye to those pads boys and girls. (And if you use pads that’s cool too, definitely understand the convenience)

3 Likes

Ultra gang. I pulled the flowable out of my Omnitron after making that post yesterday and swapped it for ultra grey.

9 Likes

from what I see, unlike motorsil it is not self-leveling, this does not mean that it does not create air bubbles but only that it manages to create a smooth surface even after being scraped with a spatula.

It is not self leveling. That’s the biggest disadvantage. Not being self leveling makes application require an amount of practice and technique.

I wouldn’t recommend ultra grey to people who aren’t willing to overcome the learning curve. But for those with patience to learn, I prefer ultra grey to self-leveling flowable silicone.

4 Likes

I did this to try and get some of them out, when people pour concrete they hit the sides to help the air move, grey is thicker so I really don’t know how much it helps but it makes me feel a bit better lol.

1 Like

Special thanks to @Albertino and @mable for being the catalyst that I needed to take the silicone plunge! I’ve thought about doing this for quite some time after reading several posts about how great it is. I originally tried to get the flowable silicone at a home improvement store, but since they didn’t even carry the brand I got some off of the big mail order company. But I was an idiot and got the wrong thing, so I ended up with #80050, when what I really wanted was #81730. So I just ordered some of the #81730 and the Ultra Gray (#82194) and will carry on my experiments with those.

According to the Permatex PDF for what I ordered, its hardness is 20. So apparently it’s a little softer than the Red (25) and the Gray (45). It’s also not flowable so I couldn’t rely on self-leveling to improve my shoddy application. I’m hoping that it ends up looking better after it has cured, as it looks really bad just after application:

The reason that I did this in the first, and also why I ordered some of the gray, is that I find that a lot of my yoyos feel too grabby to me. I combat that by using thinner string, but it’s harder to find and I’d like to be able to use fatter string without worrying about accidental binds.

Lastly, does anyone have any tips on what types of tools/materials to use when leveling/scraping the silicone? I recall hearing that someone recommended using a credit card, but I used something that resembled laminated paper and I don’t think that was a good choice. Also, is it a good idea to remove as much of the excess as you can before it has cured, or is it better to do that afterward? For example, if you end up getting some silicone in the bearing seat or outside of the pad’s recessed area, should you just leave it there until it’s cured?

2 Likes

The Silicone you got is the one you want to stay away from. It cracks, crumbles, and doesn’t apply or break in like the rest. It almost crystalizes.

The Ultra Grey/Black/Copper all are “harder” to apply than 81730 which is less viscus and self leveling.

81730 is is better if you’re doing a lot of throws at the same time and you don’t want to “break in” your response system. Essentially, it’s just easier to do. Ultra Grey/Black are harder and less responsive, Copper feels kinda like it’s got a good amount of grip tbh. I don’t really care about the difference between Ultra Grey and 81730 as long as the response itself is recessed, they both feel good to me.

I wouldn’t try any other clear silicones from other brands, even the RTV stuff from Permatex like you got, it’s such a coin toss on if they’re good or not. I’ve not found any clear silicone (here in the USA) to perform as well as the 81730 stuff, and I’ve tried a ton of random off the wall brands that include Aquarium/Outdoor silicones, etc.

If anyone wants an easier way to apply it, just look for baby food syringes or plastic syringes. This saves you silicone since you’re not wasting any inside the weird applicator they give you with the silicone tubes. The spout at the end of these is the perfect size for responses. Cleaning it is easy, once you’re done using it, just push out the excess, and any stuff left inside the end will dry up and makes for an easy clean up job.

8 Likes

You are welcome Nick and welcome to this family!
Is better to use a credit card must be a sturdy piece of plastic so you can scoop all the silicone then the one around the bearing leave it until it dry is much easier to take it out and get rid of it if you try to do it while wet it become a mess the bearing area.

I use a syringe too for the application it make it so much easier!

3 Likes