"One More Light" - A dedication to those we have lost in the yoyo community

The yoyo community has often been said to be a close family, and when ever we have lost a member of this family, the impact is felt deeply within all of us. This is a video to honor the memory of some of the wonderful people who left our world far too soon. These individuals were not just yoyo players, but amazing people who left a huge positive impact on our hobby and our lives.

I struggled with the idea of this video for a while and had consulted with numerous other players if it was even something I should do, but I knew I wanted to ensure that each players could have a memory to be shown to the yoyo world, and maybe even some light to those who had not been aware of these players and their skills of the past.

I want to note that there are others who have also been a huge part of the yoyo world who I was not able to place into this as their was often no existing footage. I also may have missed someone as I went looking for footage of the names I was aware of and cross referenced the names with a few other yoyoers to make sure I didn’t forget someone but it’s still possible. I want to honor those as well and would love to hear any stories or experiences with those (and those in the video) in the comments.

Finally, I hope that we as a whole community can learn to appreciate those around us deeply and truly, as we never know when someones day can be their last. May we all cherish our friendships and relationships close, and be sure to reach out always to those we love.

Thank you for watching.

Thanks to: Yoyovideoarchive, Chris Lemus, Dr.Mario, Cizrek, Yoyoexpert, Glasseye, Onedrop, Duncan toys, Gabe Lozano, Philippines Yoyo, Candywires, Miguel Correa, SaveDeth, Connor Scholten, Evan Nagao, Mr.Nogix for the original uploads and footage.

Music: “One More Light” - Cover by Dave Winkler

23 Likes

Thanks for putting that together, Josh…

And… to all you noted that had helped you make it happen.

I didn’t even know about half the players in the vid. But I sure knew the other half.

I really enjoyed the entire video quality and substance. But I also felt really sad that most of these kids were young enough to be my Grandkids and they left so early.

I was friends with Ryan and we spoke often. I never even had a hint he was gonna clock himself out. I’m still pretty sad about that…

And Paul Escolar. One of the first players I met, so many years ago. Every Contest I ever went to> if Paul was there, we would run into each other and talk for awhile. Paul was simply the friendliest guy I have ever met. And the tricks he was doing on such basic(by today’s’ standards) equipment, are still Amazing. I’m not really on the emotional side. But when I see Escolar in vids, now, my eyes get a little watery. I get an distinct ‘I still don’t believe it’ feeling.

Fortunately, with your effort, these players will live on as long as we can remember them by sharing stories and in videos like yours.

Excellent work, Josh…

10 Likes

Beautiful video. Great work. Sad, but it’s nice that they are being remembered which is something we all hope will happen for us. I hope this video does not to be added to for 100 years.

3 Likes

Thanks for your words truly.

I think one of the hardest things that happened was that I had plans for this video idea about 3 years ago, and looking back, in just those three years we lost at least 3 yoyo players in that span which is really saddening.

Definitely gives me a perspective on cherishing those around me always in the yoyo world and also outside of it as well.

3 Likes

Wonderful tribute. A fitting dedication to these people all of whom were gone too soon.

beautiful, we are a community

When you first posted, I wasn’t ready to watch a tribute to those who have gone before us. I watched today, what an amazing video. Thank you for doing this.

2 Likes