One Drop side effects questions

I’m thinking about getting a one drop or markmont with sideeffects, more for the novelty than anything. What do you guys reccomend getting? or should I not?

5 Likes

Thats an odd question. Usually Id recommend getting a throw only if you like the look of it but if all you want is side effects cant go wrong with something like the reboot, rebirth or kamuraiju.

2 Likes

Second run of bathysphere is coming at some point. That’s the best side effects throw that will be available anytime soon. Panorama/diorama are good too. Actually, every side effects throw I’ve tried has been good now that I think about it.

3 Likes

The answer is yes of course buy them all.

4 Likes

Selection is pretty good right now if you are looking to buy new. I’d pick one that looks good to you with or without side effects.

1 Like

Side effects are excellent in my opinion , a great way to customise a throw both in looks and playability giving it the flavour you want.

They do introduce a bit of vibe that some say you can tune out.
I’ve never been able to do that, but I also never had the urge. I feel ultra smoothness is something more desirable for collectors than players and a bit of vibe actually gives some feedback during tricks.

2 Likes

My SE throws usually come smooth as heck, if I buy new and then get slightly vibey once I start switching the effects out.

1 Like

Don’t be afraid to give those Side Effect yo-yos a tiny bit of extra tightening. You are squishing the o-rings and they can get pretty tight. Obviously you don’t want to be crazy with it but if you tighten in a normal fashion there will be “play” in the rubber of the o-rings. Tighten that down a tad more and that vibe will get much better.

5 Likes

You’re supposed to lube the o rings and if you over tighten it, the half will just like scoot around. I tried to crank my pano to death but it doesn’t work. This is actually my favorite part about side effects. You can’t strip the Yoyo.

10 Likes

It’s amazing the things that sometimes don’t occur to you. A touch of oil on those side effects would be very helpful. Thanks for sharing that. I said those things, but I’ve actually only tried 2 other SE throws and the only one I own is the Deep State but I’ve had 3 and the same has applied to all of them.

1 Like

I actually need to amend my statement a bit. I forget that I have modified my Side Effects in order to use a narrow C in my Deep States. As a result I am able to tighten them together more than the yo-yo and it’s parts will allow so I can really crank it down. This makes quite a difference actually and I could see where it wouldn’t apply to stock SE’s in a standard configuration. However, I contest that modifying you SE’s in the way I have “would” allow you to crank them down and likely dampen if not eliminate that vibe. Though I have no way to test this out without buying another Side Effect yo-yo. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::thinking::thinking::grin::grin::weary::weary:

2 Likes

I would recommend ultralights and flats for your side effects. These just seem to be a lot more universal than others.

2 Likes

i personally lean towards ul or spikes because you can utilize them to do pull starts, fingerspins, and or matador style spike tricks with them.

Parlay all the way.

1 Like

Side effects always have a gap under normal conditions even when cranked as hard as possible, eventually the o-ring will slip due to friction before you’ll strip the side effects.

2 Likes