One Drop questions

Actually just the opposite with side effects. The heavy side effects that add more center weight make the yoyo feel more dense, powerful, and stable.

5 Likes

The Markmont Project 2 is available currently on YYE. Of all of the OD throws that are available here and on their store, I think it would be my recommendation.

Static should be dropping the Parlay soon, so that’s another good option.

4 Likes

There are like multiple ways to define stability and I think both of y’all are right. It’s easier to get more stable throws with more center weight. It’s harder for the Yoyo to tilt off plane with more rim weight. Also more rim weighted yo-yos seem to get less messed up when I accidentally hand bump them and thats a type of stability also lol. I think the science backs this up but It’s been a very long day and I could be mistaken.

2 Likes

When talking about yoyo design in general center weight and mid weight feels lighter and is less stable than rim weight. When talking about side effects, the more center weight you add with heavier side effects the denser and more stable/powerful the yoyo feels.

What do you see stability as tho. Bc ppl define stability differently.

Stability = Resistance to tilting off axis

4 Likes

In my experience with side effects it’s hard to generalize them because of how different the yoyos you can put them in are.

I think heavier and more powerful feeling yoyos from the get-go start to feel lighter and more comfortable to play with heavier side effects. And yo-yos that already feel light and soft even with AL ultralights start to feel bad with heavier side effects. Something something amount of proportional rimweight a design inherently has before playing around with adjusting side effect weight.

Still kinda generalizing and being broad here. To be more to the point, how much you enjoy swapping side effects will depend on your own preferences + the specific model. I’d probably like the Legendary Terrarian a ton as a yoyo, but I think I’d dislike everything other than ultralights in it. But if I had a Rebirth I’d put some brass in it and think it’s awesome. Those are just my own preferences though.

5 Likes

To answer all the questions, I think getting the Legendary Terrarian is the way to go. It has a lighter base weight, so it has a lot more variation with different side effects and is fun to experiment with. The OG is around 66 grams with Ultralights, so it starts out heavy and you can’t make it lighter, where LT with ultralights is only like 63 grams.

The heavier you go, it does feel more solid and powerful, but almost to it’s own detriment. Sometimes with heavier brass SE’s, like brass domes, it almost feels like it’s battery powered and moves ahead of me, if that makes sense. Aluminum UL’s make it feel very light and agile but I feel like it loses spin a little quicker and stops completely if it grazes your finger or something. Personally, I think it feels best with spikes or flat caps, which are only like .1 gram apart from each other.

Also, Terraria is awesome and everyone should play through it at least once. Anyone feel free to hit me up if you want someone to play with!

3 Likes

Between the OG Terrarian and the LT, I only have the LT so can only comment on that. Personally, from a shape and profile, it isn’t one of OD’s best looking throws IMO. There are no curves, just straight angles, it looks more like a toy reminiscent of a weapon right out from the game.
The feel of throwing it however is the total opposite of that, very very fun and stable. I did not like it with the spikes SE it came with. I swapped it with the UL and mini Spikes. I REALLY like it with the mini Spikes.

I had a Diorama first and then a Panorama. I’d agree with the others above that it would be better to just go with the OG first then decide if you also want the Boosted (7075) versions.

I’ve loved all my One Drop throws, even the joy of just unscrewing them is unmatched to me. There’s just something about the quality and precision of machining done in Oregon. :heart:

5 Likes

It’s best to consider which yo-yo suits your playstyle. Side effects may affect behavior, both weight and shape. When choosing an OD yo-yo, look for models with the SE system for customization.

1 Like