One Drop Gap Widths

So one of the things I love about One Drop yoyos is their tight, snappy binds. I have found that more of their yoyos seem to have this quality than any other brand in which I own a bunch of different models with which to compare. This led me to see if I am just imagining this, or if this could be backed up with numbers.

So I did a quick statistical analysis of all the One Drops yoyo models. I included all of the models documented on their website, a total of 66 yoyos (as of this writing). Here’s how it breaks down:

od_gaps

As you can see, the vast majority of One Drop yoyos have gap widths between 4.25mm and 4.45mm. And, in fact, more models have a gap of 4.32mm or 4.34mm (11 of each) than any other value.

This is why I consider 4.3mm - 4.5mm to be my “sweet range” for gap width, with 4.4mm being the “sweet spot” (right in the middle). And it is also why I tend to avoid throws with gap widths in the 4.7mm (and above) range. Luckily, One Drop doesn’t make many of those.

12 Likes

Ooooh, data!

4.3 mm is a tight gap. I think most companies are shooting for 4.5 mm this days.

This is interesting. Theres no way that all 66 models had the exact same standardized pad size (19mm) as I think OD has their propietary pad size for some of their models.

I wonder how the data would look if you isolated all the 19mm size models only. Would the interval remain the same? Or is a different pad size not enough to warrant a change in gap width dimensions?

How did the gap sized change with time? Is there a trend in the difference between gap widths with older models vs newer models?

One last thing. Which yoyos are representatives of the ends and middle of the spectrum?

6 Likes

This is such an exercise in having a lot of time on your hands…and, I mean that as the highest possible praise. I do love data like this, and, have done similar when considering purchasing a new yoyo, comparing all the published specs against those of yoyos I own and love (or have owned and didn’t love).

Thank you for sharing this information.

6 Likes

@zslane
Until you told me about gap widths a while ago I never paid attention to them. I just paid attention to diameter and width. Now, thanks to you, gap width will be a huge factor whether I purchase a certain yoyo. Even if I really like the other specs, design, colorways, etc. if the gap width is not in the range I prefer I’m gonna pass. From One Drop I only have 2 - Top Deck and Fat Tire and the gap widths are just so perfect and I always know how my binds will be unless I really mess up badly.

4 Likes

Honestly the variation of gap on a yoyo is a topic that has always intrigued me.
I have processed much less data than you have, in fact I have never done it, I have limited myself to testing … here you can see two equal yoyos (copies of Overdrive of 6061), the gray one is standard with a gap of 4.5mm while in the pink one I worked the inside of the catchzone so as to bring the gap to 5.1mm.

Here you can see how the bearing edges are uncovered, unlike the standard one.

Differences?
Minimal, the return of the yoyo remained excellent, the possibility of performing tricks that imply several strings porsions in the gap, improved, however we speak of non-substantial differences.
A further confirmation of what I had with the Ti-Vayder vs the Ti-Walker.

3 Likes

Hm this is quite interesting as the way the yoyo binds and the way the yoyo snags during play is something the affects how much I like the yoyo to some degree.

But the interesting thing is the two yoyos that I like the response the most right now, namely Sleipnir and VTWO, have 4.75mm and 4.66mm gap width respectively, so maybe I prefer a slightly looser gap?

2 Likes

I’m legit giggling as I read through all this talk about gap preferences :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

if i had too choose, id choose a wider gap width than a too slim one. a wider gap width has more pros than a slimmer gapwidth, plus id rather fail binding 2 times like gentry than throwing a yoyoup and down over and over again :rofl:

1 Like

I’m not giggling along exactly but gap width is stone cold serious. I think for yoyos I find not binding as tight as I’d like I’ll just use thicker strings. I was going to throw those yoyos away or leave them in a box in front of the Salvation Army.

3 Likes

I do enjoy tight binds, I have yet to get string that’s slimmer then kitty fat but that seems to work fine on my One Drops. A big part of the special feel is because of the pads, the silicone is much softer then many other pads on other yoyos

4 Likes

Got any insight into this, @da5id? One Drop Gap Widths

1 Like

I’ve only used regular strings on my Top Deck and Fat Tire. I was more referring to non-One Drop yoyos for fat strings. I am soon going to order some slim One Drop pads to experiment with in a few yoyos that feel “slippy.” It’s almost seems comical - so many technical things going on with yoyos. Then again, I’m sure yoyos while seemingly simple always had the yoyo makers (80+ years ago) considering gap widths, etc. I am sure people were modding yoyos 100 years ago.

2 Likes

Where’s the Par Avion? It’s listed on YYE at 4.86. I disagree with @persson in this case. I think I would like it better with a smaller gap.

i beleive flowable silicone has a similar affect, as the rubber in it is very soft

I feel that the quality of the pads have a higher effect on contributing to a tight bind feel.

The Dunk I got recently was slipping like crazy, I couldn’t believe it binds that badly with all the hype it got. So I went to measure its gap to see if it’s too wide, but to my surprise it is 4.35 mm which is fine. Then I exchanged the pads with some really old worn out yellowed onedrop pads that I saved earlier, and it binds really well now. It’s a huge difference, somehow it feels alive and more bouncy in play. Could never understand why people cheap out on pads… they basically destroyed my first impression of the yoyo.

4 Likes

more than legitimate, I just wish it was clear that I am not talking about preferences, I did an objective test and objectively I realize that the gap variations produce effects but they are very relative (I would not go so far as to say negligible, but not even relevant). …
A string is on average one millimeter thick … here we are talking about few tenths of a millimeter of space of difference … keep this in mind. :wink:
I agree that the quality of the material used in the response system makes a lot of difference … much more than the gap can make.

4 Likes

@zslane when you collected the gap width data, did you also grab the year released? I’m just curious if the outliers have anything else in common (like everything that was made on a mill and not a lathe all fell into a certain gap width bucket).

Of course, I could go recreate your work, but, that is just silly if you already collected the data…

3 Likes

tl;dr yes, gaps, but also string formula and pad or flowable silicone fit and material

For awhile it seemed that designs were all moving towards larger gaps, and then the string became thicker also (Kitty Fat, for example). Now there is a nice mix of smaller and larger gaps in newer yoyos to suit different preferences.

Maybe it’s dumb, but I would usually just get a 100-pack of Kitty String (normal or fat) and just use that on every yoyo, different gap widths and all, and the results certainly vary.

Now I’m of the mind that each yoyo should be optimized by pairing it with a string that suits it. No, it’s not that complicated, but it’s great to have different widths and feels (soft, hard, etc) of strings available, NOT to put Kitty normal or fat on everything. I’m loving the markmont blue eyed white dragon… great string for smaller gaps.

Also, as mentioned, results with pads will vary quite a bit due to pad material AND pad fit. I don’t like pads for this reason, and end up siliconing everything for a perfect fit every time, and I get great results with Motorsil D red silicone.

2 Likes

I also do the exact same thing!
MotorsilD all life !!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes a thousand times over. I keep a large variety of string on hand for this reason. Even with silicone done perfectly I’ve found that changing up the string can have a major impact on how the yoyo plays. Response and string match are more important to me than gap, and when done to my preference have a much greater impact on my experience with the yoyo than flat vs centering bearing.

Pad fit is a major frustration of mine, for example I recently got an A-RT 69 and it was slowing more rapidly than I expected, especially once it tilted. I avoid unscrewing my yoyos, but after trying several strings I took a look and found the pads were very ill fitting. I doubt this was the OG response for this yoyo. Time to break out the silicone.

Major respect to OneDrop, I’ve never had any issue with the response of one of their yoyos that is fitted with the factory response.

5 Likes