One Drop Flat Bearings Are Outdated: Change My Mind

Thanks for the backup guys, I knew I was gonna stir the pot a bit with this :facepunch:

Yeah this whole “moral high ground” and “respect” thing makes absolutely zero sense to me. It’s One Drop’s company and they can run it how they like. And believe me I run Discourse how I like as well, which I’m sure you know, if you know me. But … the technical argument for this whole “every single non flat bearing owes its entire existence to Frank” line of thinking is just… incredibly weak to the point of being a little ridiculous.

I fully support the idea that extremely concave bearings (whether using multiple steps, V, or full concave) are conceptually the same as what Frank invented. But flat in the middle with angled edges is a different design and in fact a superior design.

9 Likes

If you left it to a flat bearing NOT OD specific argument it would have been a more open discussion

5 Likes

Who knows, those at One Drop might have, or had, a close connection with Frank and just really have personal reasons for their approach. I’m glad when people/companies make a commitment, take a stand, based on their beliefs and values. It doesn’t need to make sense to anyone else. Everything doesn’t need to be common knowledge.

3 Likes

Well shoot dog, out of respect for Pedro Flores, perhaps all other yo-yo companies should stop making ever so slightly different yo-yos? :crazy_face:

It’s their biz they can run it how they like. Doesn’t mean it makes sense from the outside, though!

11 Likes

I respect Onedrop, but yes, I think this reasoning is weak and ridiculous too.

I’d be fine with Onedrop simply saying that they like their flat bearings and just want to keep using them in their yoyos. That would be totally fine.

7 Likes

I’d like this twice if I could.

6 Likes

They know 10000x more about design than I do. That’s what they engineered it with, that’s what I’m going to keep in it.

1 Like

Prepare to yoyo in the future with Double Convex bearings.

15 Likes

It looks like a … uh… err… rear end?

11 Likes

The crack in the middle helps clench your string in the middle of the yoyo.

11 Likes

It’s beefcake with training wheel’s. Right?

6 Likes

:thinking:
are CT bearings H shaped? Or are KK bearings more H shaped?

2 Likes

This f’ing hurts to watch. jeez.

4 Likes

I have not laughed this hard in at least two days. Holy balls this is too much :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

It’s not that complicated. Frank was the first to conceive of string centering. The specific implementation is not relevant to us. It is relevant as a legal workaround and perhaps there are subtle differences in performance.

That’s what I mean by “Spirit of the Invention”. I’m sorry you think honoring Frank for that makes no sense.

7 Likes

Thank you. Appreciate that.

4 Likes

You make amazing throws and the flats are perfect. If I end up wanting to not clean one I put something else in or a clean OD 10ball. I usually buy your bearings to put in other throws (non-one drops) because they are amazing.

4 Likes

I do respectfully believe it is technically quite different. Consider the primary goal:

“string centering” → keep the string perfectly in the center, no matter what
“center trac” → keep the string away from the response edges

In my opinion it’s so much better from a technical standpoint that it’s a completely different product. String centering isn’t even the point of the CT bearing! The goal is to gently nudge away from the response silicone areas, without offering any opinion at all about whether the string should be perfectly centered – and without modifying string wrap behavior.

1 Like

Now do a thread on tight bearing posts.

15 Likes