Offering yoyo coaching

I’m doing a one month coaching package for $20(for now). I’m not sure if there will be any actual interest or if this will actually take off but I’m gonna put this out there and see if I get any interest. Take a read and if this interests you feel free to shoot me a pm.

This coaching system is meant to be a way for people to learn and get help in a way that is much quicker, detailed, and helpful than simply watching tutorials or making a post on these forums for general help on a trick.

Here would be the general structure.

This would be targeted towards beginners, intermediates, and maybe early advanced players who are starting to or need help on developing their own basic combos. Basically anyone who hasn’t mastered the vast majority of the YYE tricklist yet and haven’t started learning or developing their own advanced technical elements/tricks/combos.

A package would consist of AT LEAST one optional video call every week, advice and maybe guide to practicing and improving, and I would be on call for help via text and I would send specific videos I create to help them whenever they need it. So one video call on top of potentially multiple videos recorded throughout the week to help you out with tricks or elements you’re stuck on.

We can start by having a chat over text or video call about what you want out of the coaching as well as what services I can provide to help you achieve your goals and throughout the week/month you can send me messages about what tricks you’re working on, what you want to improve, what you’re having issues with, and I would do my best to help you out, through text or if I feel that text doesn’t do it justice, I’ll personally record a video for you.

What you get out of this is what you put in. If you’re comfortable exchanging phone numbers we can do that(if not I check YYE pretty frequently anyway) and I will respond to your messages ASAP, most likely within a few hours at most. If there’s a trick or element you want help on, I will give advice and likely also record and send you a video to help you out within a day. 1 hour video call a week. For $20, that’s $5 per hour video call, on top of daily help through messages and videos as needed. If you think about it, this could be an insanely good deal for you. As a result it is up to you to decide how much you want to practice and utilize my help to improve. The more active you are, not just practicing, but with asking questions, the more you will get out of this. With that said, if you are not satisfied after the first week and have put actual effort in, I will refund you in full.

I’m not a pro, I’m not particularly a super skilled player. But I would say I’m definitely proficient and I am proficient at the basics of many facets of 1a yoyoing. Sidestyle, frontstyle, horizontal, whips, slacks, speed. I’m not super advanced at any of them but I am proficient at the basics. I have also helped a few others over the years such as @zslane via message or video.

Here’s a quick video if you want an idea of where my skill level is at. You can decide from reading everything above and watching my video whether you think there is anything meaningful enough I can provide for you. If you are unsure, you can shoot me a message and we can discuss it.

If there’s any more information you would like to know feel free to message me or ask below.

Free packages are all gone I’m thinking of offering the first 3 people a free month so I can get some references and then maybe start at $10 a week or $20-$30 a month after that. The catch for the free month is I would like you to already be an active member on the forums and have actual serious interest in this so that you can give feedback at the end of the month.

8 Likes

Would anyone be interested in yoyo coaching? I’m thinking something along the lines of what Gentry Stein has created. Not for a competition freestyle but just for general yoyo help. Tbh I’ve always had this type of idea in the back of my head but never acted upon it out of fear that people would think it’s not necessary or nobody would actually be interested.

I’ve always been interested in doing something like this to help inexperienced throwers. I’ve considered doing YouTube tutorials a few times but there’s already a bunch of tutorials online and I don’t have the proper equipment or good editing skills to really make great tutorials.

I’ve helped out a few people over the years through messages and videos so I thought maybe this might work. Maybe @zslane can vouch for me.

So I’ve also thought about doing a type of player coaching system for beginner and intermediate players, basically anyone who isn’t comfortably doing almost everything on the YYE tricklist and creating his own advanced combos.

Something I’ve found when I was at that level was that there are a lot of nuances to the beginner and intermediate level tricks and just throwing in general that isn’t really covered in tutorials. The people that do tutorials tend to forget the hardships they went through when they actually learned the trick since they learned it so long ago so some common roadblocks may not be mentioned. On top of that everyone just has their own issues with throwing and learning certain tricks so I could help them figure out what they’re doing wrong, how to fix it, and how to move forward and improve as a thrower optimally.

I understand that for an activity like yoyoing it’s kind of hard to teach via text or even skype but I still think this would for sure be a step up from tutorials. You can get immediate feedback and ask questions about a problem you’re having on a certain trick or anything like that. Also, I will add that an actual in-person coaching session wouldn’t be THAT beneficial as some people may think imo. Learning tricks and yoyoing is something that requires repetition and self familiarity with the yoyo and string interactions, and that takes time, not something you have the luxury of in a one hour personal coaching session. I think a great way to potentially learn is to record a video of yourself doing a trick and a problem your having, having someone more skilled analyze it and then send a video back to you showing you exactly what you’re doing wrong and what you should be doing instead. Then he can take an hour or so to adjust and figure things out. Then if he gets stuck on something else repeat the process. This way you don’t feel rushed to be able to learn an element or trick quickly like you might feel in a 1 hour coaching session. So this is something I would be interested in potentially doing.

And honestly I kind of came up with this because this is something I wanted when I was starting out and still want to this day but this type of service isn’t really available and I never really wanted to personally ask someone more skilled to take time out of their day to help me out like that.

Since I’m not a well known competition player I was thinking of maybe giving the first 3 or so people a week or month for free so I could get some references and then maybe start at $10 a week and/or $20-$30 a month. Something that’s cheap to start attracting interest and a cheap way to get coaching without having to spend a much more significant amount of money from Gentry or other reputable coaches and players.

I’m not sure how much interest there’d actually be, especially from someone not well known like me, but I thought I’d maybe give it a shot since I think there’s a lot of people on these forums that are at that intermediate level that could maybe benefit from it if they were interested. But really, if you’re not doing pretty advanced combos or creating your own really intricate and unique tricks, I think this could be something of value to you.

I’m not a pro, I’m not particularly a super skilled player. But I would say I’m definitely proficient and I am proficient at the basics of many facets of 1a yoyoing. Sidestyle, frontstyle, horizontal, whips, slacks, speed. I’m not super advanced at any of them but I am proficient at the basics. Here’s a quick video if you want an idea of where my skill level is at.

I finally decided to put this out there because I have been thinking about it for a while and there’s still nobody really doing it in this community.

Thoughts and opinions on this whole idea would be greatly appreciated.

7 Likes

Let’s do this sensei

5 Likes

Awesome! I’ll shoot you a pm right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Count me in.

4 Likes

I may be interested as well. I’m like a beginner/intermediate level player

2 Likes

You might be able to use Zoom Video for your ‘meetings’ since its free.

3 Likes

count me in too i would love to learn some fornt stlye speed combos

Edited the OP with all necessary details! Fluff is still in the 2nd post but everything you need to know is in the 1st.

All of the free slots have been taken. Currently working with @Damb, @Sinister_Yoyos, @shatterFX, and will also be working with @Legit_yoyostrings

If there’s any interest I’ll be starting it at $20 for a month. If you want to know more just shoot me a message.

5 Likes

2 paid slots have been taken. I’ll probably take 3 more this month

2 Likes

@Sinister_Yoyos is recording a progress video!

Still have 3 more spots if anyone’s interested.

2 Likes

Apparently, I’m the oddball out of the bunch…I don’t know any basics (skin the gerbil, buddha’s revenge, brain twister, etc.) but I lacerate/whip/slack and “flow” like a mug

Here goes to learning the basics @andy569 :sob:

1 Like

what person REGENS INTO A BREAKAWAY FROM A FRONT THROW CUZ THEY CANT THROW A REGULAR BREAKAWAY :joy:

4 Likes

me = alien

*I CAN throw a breakaway - do I prefer to? NAHHHHH :rofl:

Idkkkkk man you missed that trapeze after the breakaway :joy:

2 Likes

Do I have to FT you to prove you wrong

Hey man, it happens.

1 Like