Nickel plating?

Anybody out there do nickel plating? I’ve become a sucker for nickel plated yo-yos and would love the chance to have some of mine plated. I don’t understand all the nuances of why it’s challenging so I’d like to learn something too.

4 Likes

I think almost all the OD releases have been available in nickel plated at some point? So it is relatively common.

I remember the OD guys said copper plating is much riskier, they’ve tried it on other yo-yos but only were able to deliver it on the Deep State without it introducing a ton of vibe. Maybe because copper is heavier so you can end up with uneven weight?

Do you know if anybody who does it aftermarket? I saw old posts from people on the forum who had in the past. I’m looking for something like that. I can’t imagine One Drop or another manufacturer would be interested in doing single pieces for someone like me, so I guess it’s find a hobbyist.

1 Like

I think you need a really clean surface to do it. Straight off the machine and cleaned/polished. I don’t know how much luck you’ll have with a stripped ano yoyo.

2 Likes

https://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/nickel-plating-kits/nickel-electroplating-kit-1-5-gal.html

OD nickel-plating just yields better performance from their conceptual design. Just as the GZR edition made performance better by using the mysterious 7075; so does nickel cladding of 6061 help poor designs play better. …I wonder what they could do with bi-metal?

2 Likes

^ I can’t seem to find the “dislike” button…

4 Likes