New vs old Popstar?

Does anyone have thoughts on if the “new” (2017-ish?) Popstar is significantly different/better than the original version? I have a couple of the OG ones and they are fun, though not daily players for me. I was tempted by the $10 bgrades that YYE has. A different profile and fingerspin cup look interesting. But does it play any differently? Better? Worse? More fun?

If they aren’t significantly different, I probably won’t bother. I have plenty of mini throws kicking around.

2 Likes

OG is way better in my opinion. I think the newer one is too light and too small for fingerspins.

Do you live in the UK? I’ll send my b-grade to you if you want?

2 Likes

@Lukoyo Do you think it’s worth or no? Kinda wanted to try an undersized and was thinking about it. And as someone who likes finger spins I thought it looked like a fun challenge.

2 Likes

Do you know what, I just dug out both of them to have a quick throw, and I take it back, the newer popstar can fingerspin pretty well. Maybe my mind was clouded by OG bias because I really like the original but to be fair the newer version isn’t that bad at all. If you can get a b-grade go for it.

2 Likes

I really wanna yoink one but I already have 3 yoyos coming in this week :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thought I’d share a pic of some of my minis.

Top left clockwise we’ve got the new Popstar (b-grade) OG popstar, Throwdown Shuriken and Aoda Littles.

The one I’ve gone through the most strings with is the Shuriken. What a little beast! It’s set up with one thick and one thing ghost pad with an A sized KK bearing with a straw mod on the seat.

OG popstar is a fun one to play and for its size is nicely balanced for an aluminum. Probably why it’s so chunky so they can keep the weight up.

The Littles is probably the best micro throw that you can by today. I think it’s made from brass but I might be wrong. The weight on the rims gives it a great spintime. I think mine still has stock pads in it but I will eventually silicone it. If you can buy one the I’d highly recommend it over a mighty flea.

6 Likes

What kind of string do you use with them?

1 Like

I use normal yoyoexpert contest string on all of these. You don’t need any special string for them and if I use string that’s too long then I find that they loose momentum before they get back to the hand.

1 Like

I nabbed one😬 rip my wallet this week lol

2 Likes

Mine just came in and I can confirm its pretty good at finger spins

2 Likes