New release from Dressel Designs - The Assassin!

Actually titanium scratches slightly easier than steel does. So it’s actually better than ti when you’re talking about indestructibility. Advantages of titanium over steel are only really seen when you need a super lightweight alloy that acts ALMOST as well as steel, like in the aerospace industry.

6 Likes

Oh that’s sick!! I didn’t know that actually but it makes sense haha.

Yup, the main advantage of titanium is it’s weight/strength ratio. But steel is actually a lot stronger in a size by size basis of you don’t take the weight in to account. It’s why very few knives are made of titanium and the few that are are generally not very good at edge holding.

3 Likes

I remember decades ago when the bicycle manufactures 1st made titanium sprockets and cassettes. Always looking to save weight we were. They wore out so fast it was laughable. The teeth on them were rounded off nubs in 1/2 a season lol.

2 Likes

Neither of these last two posts make much sense to me. Titanium, particularly titanium alloy, is more indestructible than steel’s various alloys, which is exactly why it’s used more in the aerospace field. It is more stable in extremely hot and cold environments and also is much more stable when exposed to different chemicals.

Steel holds an edge better because of its higher density, but it is more susceptible to damage and corrosion.

I do realize that none of this really matters because whether these yoyos are made of titanium or steel, they are going to last longer than any of us having this discussion.

1 Like

There is so much in this world that doesn’t make sense to me. :rofl:

But if my post is one of those 2, then read up on titanium wear resistance to hardened steel. There should be plenty of data out there to enlighten you as this was from the mid/late 1990’s.

2 Likes

You must have submitted your response while I was typing mine. I was referring to the previous two posts, but I can respond to yours as well.

Your experience seems more anecdotal rather than evidence based. If steel is less destructible AND less expensive than titanium alloy, wouldn’t they use it more in aerospace technology?

I’m probably not going to seek out articles from the 1990s, but if you want to cite a couple of them I’d be glad to take a look.

They would not use steel more. Because of of the most important aspects of materials in aerospace is weight. And like I said the weight to strength ratio of titanium is very very good. But when it comes to pure strength steel destroys titanium any day. It gets harder and more wear resistant by a lot.

3 Likes

No worries. Just fun facts. This is common knowledge ‘wear’ I’m from. :wink: I meant there is data on why cyclist went back to steel cogs, crank rings, and cassettes out of steel as titanium since being mass produced in ti in the 90’s.

Can you harden ti? How much compared to steel? What’s the wear resistance of ti to hardened steel? This is where you will find your answers. Facts is facts. Aerospace chooses the best material for the job, it’s simple no?

2 Likes

It seems like this is really what it comes down to. This discussion goes much deeper than simply “which one is more indestructible.” It really comes down to what application is it be used for. Each metal has different properties that make it more suitable for different jobs.

When it comes to yoyos, aside from personal preferences and budget, it doesn’t really matter much.

3 Likes

No but technically a ti yoyo is gonna scratch easier than a steel yoyo. That’s what hardness means. I wasn’t talking about strength or aerospace applications. Just talking about yoyos

2 Likes