New bearing in my shutter, good or no?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGNpZMB4YT8hbq5CA what do you guys think? Sound ok?? This thing spins like it’s gas powered lol

Noise isn’t really a big deal, in fact some people actually like a noisy bearing. The bearing in my Shu-ya is noisy and it’s kind of cool because the yo-yo rings like a bell, it sings on the string.

Also, lots of bearings (like the One Drop) will just randomly get noisy for a while then get quiet again. My theory is that for whatever reason the balls in the bearing shift around in relation to each other and eventually sort themselves out.

The only thing you should worry about is if it stops spinning well, like it dies quickly.

I don’t know how old your shutter is but a YYF bearing should last a pretty good while and I’d be pretty surprised if it didn’t.

If you don’t like the noise, you can buy some thin yo-yo lube and apply a tiny amount and that usually makes it quieter.

4 Likes

I have an NSK too, that thing is all over the place. Still cool though.

Thanks for the information!! Actually the thing spins like it runs on gas lol

I’m not sure I get it.
Are you talking about the noise it’s making? Cause I honestly don’t think it’s making hardly any and I’m not sure why you’d be worried about this.

Or are you talking about the tilt? I think you just need to throw straighter.

I wish I could help you relax and just enjoy the yo instead of worrying so much about it.

You can lube the bearing if you want to quiet it down. Search for the word “hyperspin” for instructions — make sure you have compressed air on hand and thin lube.

What’s the compressed air for?

I’ve had no problem adding the lube sober.

1 Like

The compressed air is to spin the bearing at a high speed, spread the lube around, and remove excess. Lube will naturally slow down your bearing, not really necessary, but some prefer it.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea

using compressed air after lubing the bearing is genius. I have only used it to spin the bearing and remove acetone after cleaning a bearing. I imagine the compressed air spin of a freshly lubed bearing may reduce the whole 'did I put too much lube?" concern

3 Likes

Yes exactly, without this you have to agonize over putting in “just the right amount” of lube or all is lost.

1 Like

For the past several years I’ve been perfecting my this mini drop of lube is just enough and not quite too much. Compressed air would have saved me countless repeat cleanings

2 Likes

Sounds fine. It’s more important that it spins gud and isn’t responsive.

I personally wouldn’t mess with it if it’s spinning like a gas-powered machine (assuming that means it’s going forever) but if you want, clean it by soaking it in 100% acetone for 5-15 minutes (or an hour… I always get distracted and wander off) and hit it with a tiny bit of lube and do the compressed air hyperspin thing. But honestly, unless the noise is really getting to you, I wouldn’t mess with it.

1 Like