Need help installing finger spin cups on Duncan Freehand AL

Just received an aluminum Duncan Freehand along with a pair of finger spin cups (ordered separately).

No instructions came re: how to remove the current caps so I can install the finger spin cups. I tried a narrow wooden dowel inserted into the axle hole in an attempt to press the current caps out from the inside, but that didn’t work - I didn’t want to apply too much pressure in case that was not the method, haha.

The site I purchased from showed no instructions that I could find. I’ve emailed them, but won’t get a response tonight - hoping someone here might know the answer, as I’m anxious to get started. Thanks!

1 Like

A bicycle pump works pretty well for this.

1 Like

I’m not able to picture how this would work - with the basketball pump I have, anyway! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

So if it has the needle nossle thingy, you can put it in the half that does not have the axle in. You may have to wrap some tap around the nossle to create a seal

2 Likes

edit.

1 Like

Ok, thank you everyone! Very clear. Just realized I no longer have my pump, haha.

You can also use an air compressor which should be available to use at most gas stations.

3 Likes

Found an OLD hand pump for a basketball.

Found some Scotch Removeable Mounting Putty to seal where the needle goes into the cup (sticks, but no residue).

Found myself thinking, “This will never work.”

Experimented with angles to try and get things as efficient as possible. “BOOM!”

It worked! Haha, thanks all!

2 Likes
1 Like

I know I am a bit late, but I wanted to paste this here as a warning for anyone trying to remove their caps.

4 Likes

Yes, good to note. I definitely wore earplugs when I took mine off after seeing that. Interestingly enough, one was super loud that definitely required the ear plugs while the other was loud but not dangerously loud. I guess the tolerances are wide enough that some can be on there super tight.

1 Like