Mystery yo-yo

Hello, I’ve been coming to the yo-yo museum for some time and find it a valuable source of information. I started playing with Duncan yo-yos back in the 50s. I even came in 3rd in a Duncan sponsored contest! Of course, there were only four participants and it was a tie for 3rd place,so…

Anyway, I have a question for the forum. I recently picked up a Genuine Goody Filipino Twirler I’m told is from the 1940s, but that’s the extent of what I know about it.

I’m wondering if anyone here can fill in the blanks for me.

Any info will be appreciated.

Regards,

TJCoro

12 Likes

@YOHANS might be able to provide some info about it.

1 Like

According to Lucky’s Collectors Guide it’s from the 50s or 60s. Goody was just using the term “Filipino Twirler” interchangeably with yoyo. Here’s the entry for it:

(Big G), paint seal, wood, tournament shape, three-piece, nylon pegged string, '50s and '60s

Big “G” refers to the large “G” on the seal that is shared by both the words “Genuine” and “Goody”

5 Likes

WOW! That was quick! Thanks for the info.
-TJCoro

4 Likes

Some more info on Goody while I’m at it. Straight from the book.

“The New York based Goody Manufacturing Company, like Royal, was a pre and post-war competitor to Duncan. Goody, unlike Royal, did not use the word ‘yo-yo’ on their toys, but called them ‘Filipino Twirlers.’ However, they did use the term ‘yo-yos’ in some advertising literature. In 1958, Duncan wrote Goody a letter of protest which was largely ignored. Goody was a promoted line and did employ professional demonstrators. Goody, like many small yoyo companies, shadowed the much larger Duncan and Cheerio campaigns.”

3 Likes

Happy to help! I bought the book, I might as well use it lol.

1 Like

Haha! That made me laugh! :rofl:

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! And welcome to the forums. Everyone is nice and helpful so feel free to ask any questions!

4 Likes

Huge welcome from Pennsylvania. What yoyos are you throwing around these days?

3 Likes

Anything that has a string :grin:

I usually pick up a vintage Imperial or Mardi Gras. But lately I’ve been fooling around with a couple of old Satelites - one that whistles and one that doesn’t.

7 Likes