My thoughts on yoyo reviews

That’s what I was about to say haha most yoyos are pretty dang good now

1 Like

A negative for one person may be something another person loves about a yoyo.

8 Likes

Also good point about spending time with a yoyo. Sometimes a yoyo just needs a little time. When I first got the few and far between bimetal proto… I thought the response was terrible. After 3 hours of play it was perfect… Just simply needed to be broken in

2 Likes

This is very true!

1 Like

I think a big problem with reviews regardless of who is review it is that it will always be some what subjective. Just as some not everyone has the same taste in cars, houses and etc. I think that 99% of reviews are not very helpful as they say the same thing. I mean how many diffrent things can you say about a spinning sphere. Most reviews are made by casual players that aren’t competitors and cant tell you how it plays for extreme horizontal combos. The problem is most players that really good are already sponsored, and of course they are going to be biased. Reviews will probably never really be that useful for most people. But there or some really skilled players out there making great reviews, I think everyone should check this guy out: Yoyofactory Damage Review - YouTube he has the best reviews I’ve seen.

3 Likes

I totally agree… Just wish there were more good reviews from highly skilled players . I’m going to watch this now.

1 Like

Now that’s a dang good review!

1 Like

He hits all the boxes, like the history of the yoyo, the play, and design. He is criminally underrated.

1 Like

Yes and no. While there’s no way a high wall organic is going to be incredible for horizontal, low walls and bimetal rims don’t guarantee horizontal performance.

My best example of this is the Doombot.

2 Likes

I disagree, I actually appreciate reviews from lesser-skilled players as much as the ones from the big hitters like Dylan Kowalski.

The reason is that I, as a lesser-skilled player, can get a better feel for how the throw will behave in my clunky mitts by watching someone of similar skill handle it. I’m less interested in how a yoyo plays in the hands of a pro than I am in how that yoyo will behave in MY hands.
So when I see someone who isn’t great at throwing actually land a fingerspin on a Speedaholic, it tells me that I too will most likely be able to learn to fingerspin pretty easily on that yoyo.

On the other hand, I also like watching reviews from great players because they CAN land all the tricks and I can see how the throw behaves in a “perfect world”. I like to see what sort of an angle it takes for any given yoyo to ride a thumb grind, for instance. And also be assured that that same yoyo can indeed dance through the trick that I’ve been trying to learn so I don’t fall into the trap of blaming the equipment for my lack of perseverance.

So in my opinion there’s a solid market for all skill levels of reviewers.

But most importantly, I watch reviews to see how the yoyo sounds in play.

Ivan

10 Likes

Let people review if they want to review.

9 Likes

Exactly.

7 Likes

Well I guess that I’m really just trying to say… Just dont talk about anything that you don’t have the skill to be talking about. Fair play for all to review :slight_smile: Also… for me… its more about what they say about it… not what they do with it

1 Like

People can do what they please :slight_smile:, I just dont think it makes sense to talk about things you don’t have the skill to give accurate info about… Thats like a person that has no experience in medicine trying to act like a doctor and giving misleading info. Fair play to anyone though. I never said they couldn’t make a review

1 Like

It seems like we have this view that these yo-yo reviewers are making bank off these videos. It appears to be mostly people who like talking about and playing with YoYos . Comparing it to a doctor giving misleading information is melodramatic. One is a guy talking about why he loves a toy, the other is well …self explanatory.

I don’t understand why we continue to make these threads , and I know it is not the intention but they do feel like attacks on people who have really done nothing to anyone other than make a harmless video.

Imagine if we took this kind of scrutiny to everything , for instance “the sandals I am wearing right now were given a 5 star rating by snozbucket69 on Amazon , but in his review he said there was a ton of heel support but when I got them it definitely lacks heel support that I need. “

7 Likes

Ok, yeah I do see where you’re coming from with that now. I will say that the redeeming feature of video, though, is that you can see the skills of the reviewer, so it’s up to us as consumers to discern what level the reviewer is at and adjust our expectations accordingly.

If the reviewer talks about a yoyo’s attributes in play without showing a sample of them actually playing with it, I generally find their opinion pretty useless for me personally.

Ivan

2 Likes

What do you mean attacks ppl? I didn’t say stop making them? I just said maybe not give input on some things. I even said I don’t even have the skills to talk about that stuff. Maybe I didn’t do the best at articulating what I was trying to say. Had a feeling some people would take the wrong way. I do see your side when you talk about the sandals though.

1 Like

You’re right. I do not understand what you are saying. What I have gathered is: Don’t stop making the videos giving your input but please consider stopping giving your input.

I too would like to point out that it can be annoying when someone Larps as an expert but I think in most cases regardless of the niche that it is with good intention.

1 Like

Nope… Don’t stop giving your input just don’t give input about the things you don’t have the skill to give input about. If you don’t have the horizontal skills then maybe talk about how it feels compared to other yoyos you own!?! Maybe say my replay pro feels like it plays faster than my first base (doesn’t mean either are “good” for speed)!?! Some people understood what I was saying (yye garret gave the post a heart) …I don’t expect everyone too. I am no expert by any means. I hope you have a blessed day

2 Likes

Recieving bad medical and yoyo advice destroys lives every single day.

9 Likes