My Thoughts On Tiktok And Yoyoing

Quite a few “influencers” also have a website selling cheap yyf yoyos as their own.

That’s a super cool idea! Like a thrower’s lounge. It would be super sweet if it had a variety of rental yoyos available so people could try a bunch before deciding what to buy. Or so that bums like me can feel what it’s like to throw a $400 titanium.

The throwing floor could be covered in rubberized flooring and marked with 8x8 circles so people could have a guideline on how far to space themselves out.

You open a place like that and I’ll drive across the country to visit it!

Ivan

7 Likes

Great ideas to add to mine! Especially the rental yoyos and rubber floors because I was thinking carpet. I already mentioned it to my wife.

6 Likes

I’m sending you a special tiktok edition Mk1 Spyglass :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

i’d like to point out that skating is more of a “culture” thing also that board looks hecka new and the model is mall grabbing but I get your point

3 Likes

Yooo what’s up, welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

nooooooooo

1 Like

Tiktok is a good tool to have more people come in contact with yoyoing. Millions of kids today see an helix bind, most will just swipe their thumb and go to the next video, but some of them will buy a yoyo, will look into what’s capable of other than “emoji challenge” and will start to play it regularly to learn new tricks, and eventually will buy new yoyos…

I agree with @EOS44 , yoyoing have no need to became viral, and I believe it will never become viral at all. A couple of million followers on tiktok dont make something viral, they are just people that finds yoyoing eyecatching just like a any other tiktok video can be they watch it and then they just swipe their thumb to the next video.

But maybe 1/1000 of these viewers go and buy a yoyo! That’s why I think that tiktok it’s a great thing for the whole community.

Edit
PS: I think I repeated the exact same concept two times…

7 Likes

So what are some of these TikTok handles so we can go check them out?

1 Like

don’t know their handles specifically bc i don’t use tiktok, but Hunter, Gentry, Betty, Angelo and Stoney are huge in tiktok right now.

2 Likes

Is Gentry doing TikTok?

2 Likes

Yes.

He used to post more but he still does

1 Like

I thought I recalled Brandon Vu mentioning recently that Gentry doesn’t post very often. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Your right he doesn’t.

Well an easy to see way to see would be to ask here FB and reddit who’s new to yoyo because they saw on tiktok.

I myself am going to continue to be behind times and not be part of the tiktok wave. Maybe it’s an age thing, it’s also just another social media thing to try and keep up on. To be honest, I don’t even actively post on Instagram these days, just too much work to keep up with being active.

If Tiktok or whatever new social media fad is making yoyoing more popular or legitimately getting folks into it, I won’t be mad about it :slight_smile:

For me, my keeping up on yoyoing comes from nostalgia, just something I’ve done as a kid and now that I’m an adult and can buy what I coveted as a kid, it’s a hobby I can truly enjoy. Social media is merely instrumental for me, a resource of tricks (mainly Youtube). Learning a trick by still images, diagrams, and text was NOT easy, lost it at Split the Atom :smiley:

13 Likes

I am also going to continue to be behind the times, but it is not an age thing, I just don’t get the appeal. You look at TikTok for maybe two hours and find thirty seconds worth of videos you actually enjoyed.

5 Likes

Honestly this is a point of emphasis that I don’t think gets talked about much. Learning tricks pre-internet was hard. You had to break down what was going on in the instructions and mentally map out how it would look step by step before you even tried learning it. Videos showing all of this stuff now is amazing. I love the yoyoing resources we have now, and wouldn’t be doing half of the tricks I love now without them.

7 Likes

All I know about TikTok is Trump tried to bring it down,

1 Like