My Thoughts On Tiktok And Yoyoing

I wholeheartedly agree, especially with the last two paragraphs.

I’m so tired of listening that rock/metal is dead. It isn’t. It has never been as alive as it is today.
Same with yoyo. We have never had as this many players as any other period of history ever.

8 Likes

I understand what you’re saying. But personally, I’d love to yoyoing be more in the main stream direction.

I get that the micro community aspects can be fun. It’s neat to know pretty much all the users here on the forum.

But that aspect can get wearisome to me as well at times.
If there’s a controversial topic or something, I can already tell you the 5 users that will share my opinion, the 6 violently that won’t, and the 3 that will comment something about “don’t tell people how to have fun, let them enjoy yoyoing how they want”, and revive 25 likes on said comment.

You can see it gets a liiitle predictable at times.

I think it would be really cool if there were dozens of new users that came onto the forums everyday. Briging new ideas, fresh perspectives, and such.

Micro communities are fun. Bigger communities have more to offer in my mind.

But at the end of the day, big or small, this community is about throwing yoyos. So I’ll stick with it.

12 Likes

I definitely don’t like it. Brandon Vu, for example, has gotten lots of support from his youtube viewers for many years. Since he started TikTok all of his other videos have gotten much shorter and decreased in quality. It makes me sad that TikTok is basically the only way to be a famous influencer now.

11 Likes

In your opinion, do you think the micro community would be better if people didn’t disagree with you at all tho? i know thats not what you’re saying, but your fixation of the peoples reaction to your opinions makes it seem that way, as something you are seemingly incapable of letting go.

Would it be cool because there would be more new, impressionable minds to convice you’re right about once you show them you have the trickset to seemingly back up your opinions?

Would you still think it would be cool if all those new players came here and took the side of the community that disagrees with you?

7 Likes

What? Of course not! In fact, many times, I’ve said one of the things that I like about this community, small as it is, is that it’s not an echo chamber.

What I’m tired of is when people have a different opinion to mine, it’s usually the same stance, for the same reasons. I’d love to see more people disagreeing with me, coming from more directions.

Well, if you hadn’t noticed, this community’s demographics have been on my mind (and especially apparent as of late). As I said, I don’t mind disagreement. In fact, I’d love to see more.

But let’s vary it up a little, yeah?

See above responses. This one’s pretty off the mark.

I have no illusions that my trick set is that ground breaking.

4 Likes

I would like to see it go mainstream just because I really think it could benefit the community in a positive way.

More eyes, more throwers, more money.

You may think skateboarding isn’t very similar to yoyoing but as someone who has done both for many years, they are much more similar than you think. Every time I make a yoyo post on ig, all of my skateboarding friends send me a message talking about how cool it is…

If it did become more mainstream… there could even be more money for contest…skateboarders can literally get rich and make a living just by simply skating a contest… do they even give decent prize money at yoyo contest? I think yoyoers throwing at contest should be competing for a nice chunk of change just like the skaters…In myopinion that is.

6 Likes

Ok, this clears things up i’d say.

It isn’t, but skill and innovation are two different things. You can be highly skilled on known and explored elements already, and people find that to be proof of yoyo opinions as well.

See, the reason i pitched you those weirdly focused questions is because you took a question partaining a general community aspect, such as growth, and gave it a more focused approach on your experiences alone.

Good to hear clear answers tho, i know i can discuss with you everytime without it getting weird.

8 Likes

@nightshadow seems like a pretty intelligent guy

5 Likes

Yeah

Haha, I don’t know about that.

Maybe only when I’m not going off on weird rants about organic yoyos and not learning enough tricks…

7 Likes

we all could use learning some more tricks tbh.

10 Likes

Yeah dude! You know it’s funny, I think we disagree on 90% of the topics discussed on the forum, but I always enjoy a good discussion with you.

7 Likes

I’ve enjoyed reading yalls discussions :blush:

2 Likes

i wouldn’t say the disparity is that big really. Maybe it looks way worse than what it is because the topics lately have shown them all at once lmao.

4 Likes

You also seem very intelligent. Love reading your replies

3 Likes

Thank you for saying that. Seems you’re the only (other) person who has picked up on this. In fact, it is what made me ask about this whole thing in the first place.

If TikTok truly is taking yoyo viral and reaching some massive new audience, and it is these “DNA” videos that are largely doing that (at the moment), then does that mean that yoyos designed for fingerspinning will become all the rage again? And if so, for how long? Or will “DNA” fade from mainstream consciousness just like every other meme that goes viral on social media? And, ultimately, will this blip in yoyo curiosity also fade as some other new shiny thing comes along to capture everyone’s tiny attention spans?

For instance, are any yoyo manufacturers ramping up production of fingerspin yoyos in response to this TikTok thing? Or are they taking more of a wait-and-see attitude towards it? Are they even aware of it in the first place? What does “sound business sense” say about this?

4 Likes

These are all great questions…I just think now that we have the eyes… we need to stop the DNA and get a little more creative

4 Likes

YoyoFactory just reissued their czech point pivot yoyo (a yoyo i never thought would get a re release) due to tiktok and its obsession with helix binds.

I don’t think we’ll see more companies doing something about it tho.

3 Likes

Facts.

I know that Gentry has the DNA yoyo on his website that is just an arrow so I would say that people are taking notice.

2 Likes