My second attempt at dying a yo-yo, my Rebellion Golyat

Ahh, that explains it.

The one you did in the first pic is really amazing. I’ve never seen that deep of a blue on a dye job. It’s usually a much softer blue.

1 Like

I’m guessing a lot of times it has to do with differences in plastic, even within the same types of plastic.

Fwiw the Golyat is made of a beautiful plastic, it’s smooth but almost like an ivory texture. Feels great in the hand.

1 Like

I continually get confused reading the forums because so many different terms are used for “plastic” - almost interchangeably. A quick google helped me understand what is general and what is specific terminology. Hopefully I’ll be better at understanding it now.

Here is a short article about the difference between POM-H (Delrin) and POM-C.

1 Like

Delrin / POM isn’t plastic in that sense. When one says “plastic yo-yo” they mean polycarbonate, 100%.

1 Like

Do they? They could be referring to a yoyo made of any type of plastic.

1 Like

I call delrin yoyos plastic every time.

1 Like

I would totally refer to a cabal or a Golyat as a plastic yoyo

1 Like

Nice link.

So the Golyat is Delrin?

Wow! That looks absolutely amazing. Nice work! I really dig this.

To be honest, other cough websites do a better job of properly classifying things in the yo-yo world, let’s see what they say…

So yeah, I’m going with what I said, which is correct :blush:

The list you just posted proved my point, not yours.

Incorrect Glen!

Plastic – 125
POM (Celcon / Duracon / Delrin etc) – 32

You’re probably just peeved that they didn’t list Acetal in there, aren’t you

Higher up in the list it lumps all plastics together in one category.

That’s not even the original point. The point is if someone says they have a plastic yoyo, it could be referring to any plastic.

But you seem to pick and choose information on websites to suit what you want. Like this one which says acetal. You just don’t like this widely accepted and legitimate name, and so you ignore it.

http://www.dotmar.com.au/products.php?c=6

It doesn’t matter though, because POM is perfectly fine too. I just find your rejection of what a plastics engineering company calls it quite comical. I consider them the pros, not myself.

Yes it is. Which is a type of plastic.

Altnough, looking at it from your perspective @codinghorror, noone in the yoyo community refers to POM as acetal except for myself. So there is a case for me laying the name the rest to avoid causing unnecessary confusion.

No one wants to buy a POM Spinworthy. They want a acetal Spinworthy.

3 Likes

It’s OK, I think of it like vegemite, it’s this Australian … thing.