My new splash painted yoyo. Need opinions.

This may get moved… I don’t know where else to put it.

So I thought I would try my hand at painting yoyos. This is the first one I’ve done. It didn’t come out exactly how I wanted it to, but I’ll be doing more samples before I start offering paint jobs (if I do at all). I can paint it any color and then I can make the splash any color. I can make the ‘splashes’ larger or smaller, and I can make more or less of them. Tell me what you think, again, it didn’t come out exactly as I plan on them looking but now I know that the idea I had to paint them will actually work.

This yoyo didn’t have an axle, hence the screw.

Oh plus, I smeared some of the paint when I thought it was dry, so obviously it won’t always look like that.

Here’s the cup.

What yoyo was it?

Personally, I don’t care for it, but that’s just my personal opinion. That kind of thing isn’t my “style”.

However, let me be a bit more constructive, since that’s really what you’re after anyways. Saying “I don’t like it” leaves a bad feeling for you. So, let me get constructive on you:

First, let me just say I’d like to encourage you to practice your new interest in painting yoyos. I can tell you have the concept down, you just need more practice.

Second, I think it’s not really balanced out. Where this I find most noticeable is the hub area.

Third, I think maybe larger splash might be better, as this looks more splat-ty to me. Maybe a paint that kinda holds together better so it can make larger and/or longer splashes?

So, with that mind, good first attempt. Why don’t you keep at it and let’s see your progress as you work on this?

Yep. Thanks for the feedback. This yoyo didn’t have an axle which actually is the reason that it’s not balanced out…I use a weird style of painting…and I’ll keep that stuff in mind, there will be more tests to follow. And to the first guy…It’s a Duncan metal drifter haha.

I think it looks cool like this, as long as the splashes are smooth so you can grind it I say job well done, the only thing is I can see lines that may be where there was deep scratches on the yoyo, of that’s what is is obviously lines are unavoidable.id feel comfortable sending you a beater throw to paint. Seriously though I’d send you a beater dv888 to practice on if you send it back. Like I said, I like the paint job.

1 Like

Yup like studio42 said, larger splashes. Kinda looks like a light speckle in some areas. Once you balance the amount of paint in one area, I think it would look great.