My new splash painted yoyo. Need opinions.

(Shaneola) #1

This may get moved… I don’t know where else to put it.

So I thought I would try my hand at painting yoyos. This is the first one I’ve done. It didn’t come out exactly how I wanted it to, but I’ll be doing more samples before I start offering paint jobs (if I do at all). I can paint it any color and then I can make the splash any color. I can make the ‘splashes’ larger or smaller, and I can make more or less of them. Tell me what you think, again, it didn’t come out exactly as I plan on them looking but now I know that the idea I had to paint them will actually work.

This yoyo didn’t have an axle, hence the screw.

Oh plus, I smeared some of the paint when I thought it was dry, so obviously it won’t always look like that.

Here’s the cup.

What yoyo was it?

Personally, I don’t care for it, but that’s just my personal opinion. That kind of thing isn’t my “style”.

However, let me be a bit more constructive, since that’s really what you’re after anyways. Saying “I don’t like it” leaves a bad feeling for you. So, let me get constructive on you:

First, let me just say I’d like to encourage you to practice your new interest in painting yoyos. I can tell you have the concept down, you just need more practice.

Second, I think it’s not really balanced out. Where this I find most noticeable is the hub area.

Third, I think maybe larger splash might be better, as this looks more splat-ty to me. Maybe a paint that kinda holds together better so it can make larger and/or longer splashes?

So, with that mind, good first attempt. Why don’t you keep at it and let’s see your progress as you work on this?

(Shaneola) #4

Yep. Thanks for the feedback. This yoyo didn’t have an axle which actually is the reason that it’s not balanced out…I use a weird style of painting…and I’ll keep that stuff in mind, there will be more tests to follow. And to the first guy…It’s a Duncan metal drifter haha.

I think it looks cool like this, as long as the splashes are smooth so you can grind it I say job well done, the only thing is I can see lines that may be where there was deep scratches on the yoyo, of that’s what is is obviously lines are unavoidable.id feel comfortable sending you a beater throw to paint. Seriously though I’d send you a beater dv888 to practice on if you send it back. Like I said, I like the paint job.

Yup like studio42 said, larger splashes. Kinda looks like a light speckle in some areas. Once you balance the amount of paint in one area, I think it would look great.