MoonageMin's Trick-a-Week 2021 [Week #41 - 4a Off-tober (4a basics)]

Nice double double!

4 Likes

Very nice Mike,

Okay so this isn’t exactly the “Double GT” that we are learning this week, but take a look at this other variation of “Double” GT in a different sense.
@chaosgow taught me this a while back, thought it would be something fun to share.

6 Likes

Two double GTs, I think you get bonus points

1 Like

WT$…?!? Ok trying to visualize this…i might be able to figure it out tonight after a few hours of painful pointless bro. Trapez tricks… OR you could make it easier and explain this demonic wizardy you call a double GT

3 Likes

Oh sure man of course! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Week #12 - Drop Suicide Catch

Hello everyone! I was asked to teach a trick this week, and after some thought settled on the dropped suicide catch, or at least that’s how I’ve been referring to it for almost a decade now lol…

The trick is rather straight forward, make sure your string tension is neutral, throw a trapeze, lift both of your hands up at the same time to get the yo-yo and the trapeze loop to have upward momentum, and then break your arm. Or withdraw your freehand from the trapeze loop and quickly bring your hand under the yo-yo, back up in front of the yo-yo and back into the loop.

I hope that this was hard enough to be a challenge but not so hard that it scares people away this week. Good luck and have fun! :wink:

If you start to get this down, try doing a reverse hidemasa hook, unwrapping it to a trapeze, and then landing the dropped suicide catch, it looks very fancy. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Awesome thanks @MikeMonty, looking forward to the drops. Hope the catches come someday too :grin:

6 Likes

I am having way more fun playing around with these than I thought I would

5 Likes

I have to agree these dropped suicides are fun to practice… I’ve actually caught a few… thank you @MikeMonty ! Having said that i wouldn’t mind knowing that one handed wrist mount! That was insane!

3 Likes

Try a jade whip but catch it as a drop suicide!

2 Likes

My brain exploded!
I needed to find out… so i went to the all knowing youtube… im sure there are other ways but just for refrance here is a one handed wrist mount tut that seems doable.

6 Likes

For whatever reason, the kind in the video you posted lead to more consistent landings than doing it right off a throw

2 Likes

I can’t do either way. So much to work on!

2 Likes

I think the soaring in method holds the shape of the mount better before you let go while the throw and catch relies on a precise tug back

2 Likes

My submission for @MikeMonty’s Drop Suicide Catch.
For some reason I keep catching with my ring finger not my index finger :sweat_smile:

Bonus points though obviously because I used a MikeMonty Memento for the practice and video.

8 Likes

Sketchy hook catch!!

I keep doing the same with my middle finger lol

7 Likes

Dude! That was driping with greatness! Wow!
I can catch the drop over the top but coming from under is a real challenge.
Well done both of you.

5 Likes

Ok. So i keep working the dropped suicides and missing, but i like to multi-task like everyone else. So I’m working on my yotricks level up nonsense. There’s a trick called Wasabi GT, which he exits the GT out the back. Cool.

What’s my point, and why am i posting this here… God i can be long winded. Maybe.

So if instead of using the wrist to catch the slack you do a jack slack style thumb whip and wrap around the yoyo, then mount the front segment like in the Wasabi you get a GT but you have to exit out the front. Just something i uncovered tonight. Hope that made some sense…

I’ve been playing with what i can do when i miss Jack slack and wrap around the yoyo instead of catching a half, so now i have two solutions. The modified Wasabi GT and you can actually do MelHops a well which are cool.

4 Likes

Supercool

3 Likes

So who all is doing scales here on TaW?

I’m in, but am exercising procrastination (pffft -typical :roll_eyes: ). There’s been little meditation on the composition of my routine but I’ve finally started to seriously think about the meat and potatoes of it and how they’ll flow together.

Nothing like burning that last minute work oil.

4 Likes