MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

So Iā€™m been grinding horizontal hard and itā€™s finally starting to come around. Iā€™ve gotten the modified skin the gerbil smooth a few times now and thought ā€œhey, I could probably hit a double or nothing and roll out of itā€. Nailed it first try! My face that isā€¦not the trick :joy:

6 Likes

So here is my progress so far on horizontals.
Must admit that I actually didnā€™t practice at all this whole week (haha sorry lazy) and only started today.

What I found helpful was to do a normal Skin the Gerbil once before each horizontal attempt.
This helped me clean up my normal gerbil and got that feeling of doing the trick in easy mode before attempting the same thing in hard mode (i.e. Zontals).

So if you are getting the banana turnover, trapeze & bind, but struggling with the gerbil in horizontal, I think working on your gerbil in normal side style first will def help. Whilst in side style try and execute the trick without stopping and keeping the yoyo in motion the whole time, just like you would need to do in horizontal. Really focus on the direction changes as those are the toughest bits to get right while going zontal.

So this is my progress update so far, on hindsight I should have aimed the camera up higher as half my zontal bit isnā€™t even in frame XD.

6 Likes

You have any tips on zontal? Mainly just binding and mounting lol.

3 Likes

Well for me anyway, it was similar to when we first learnt trapeze and binds, just had to do it over and over again until it started feeling a little more natural.

I think when it comes to something as basic as mounting and binds it really is muscle memory.

Having said that there is one tip that I kind of figured out by comparing when I landed on the string vs when I didnā€™t.

When you want to land on a string, the hand opposite to to the one that the yoyo is spinning around, (i.e. your throw hand if trying to land a trapeze) needs to be slightly lower down as due to gravity having both hands parallel means you miss just below of the string.

4 Likes

Ohh yeah still struggle with that one often. Video looked solid capā€™n!

3 Likes

Week #44 trick Toilet Paper Roll

This is a fun one :grin:

6 Likes

Hahaha thats funny. Yep thats exactly how it goes man. Iā€™m in Florida so its miserable doing it outside but Iā€™m finally designing a pretty good sized area just for yoyoing, and padded too lol.

3 Likes

Bam! Nice Min! That looks super clean!

2 Likes

Sorry guys to put this up late. Honestly didnā€™t get a lot of time to record so pretty short clip this week but I did get some progress with horizontals. Not even close to do the skinning gerbil trick yet but getting there. Im still trying to get the binds completely down but hereā€™s a couple clips of my progress so far and some weird chopstick repeater trick Iā€™ve been messing with all weekend.

Overall though I really had a lot of fun trying out this style. I have really never done it before so I started basic and just learned to do the throw on a looper, the basic mount on a responsive and then after I got those down pretty good I moved over to unresponsive, which was like Saturday so I really didnā€™t too much further than that. But with having to jump back to basics, it was really nice busting out the looper and responsive. Messed around with 2A for a bit last week two and broke one lol, so that kinda sucked, but it happens. Otherwise overall it was pretty nice from the standard types of tricks and trying some completely different styles. This weeks trickā€¦ā– ā– ā– ā–  I gotta start on that today. This one looks pretty tough, but ai love the slack elements to it. Should be a lot of fun to learn :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice. Once you get the basics down. The rest kind of falls into place with a little practice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thats what Iā€™m hoping. Definitely going to be trying to get a lot more horizontal play in. I feel like just overall it helps with a lot of control with the yoyo when applying it back to just regular style too.

3 Likes

Hows everyone doing with the toilet paper rolls?

3 Likes

Haha sorry I have been working on my latest video all week.

Just went up!

Also features a surprise guest star, our very own @twitch77 a couple times in the video :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looks amazing Min! :clap:

2 Likes

Thanks Mike!

1 Like

Honestly i like the first hop and i understand what to do after but i canā€™t watch that tut again. The visual effects are a bit intense for me. I found s few other versions. But they actually donā€™t even seem like the same trick.

1 Like

@MoonageMin Your videos seem to be improving and flowing better each time! Also @twitch77 thatā€™s a dope hat

3 Likes

Thanks man! @ANGVS
It has been great for me for learning editing already!
But the real star of the show was @twitch77 :rofl:

4 Likes

Week #45: Rancid Milk

This is a hard one. I love the last hop, I use it frequently, but I need to relearn the rest of the trick. If you need any pointers I may be able to helpā€¦ but no promises :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Good morning everyone, still trying to get these Toilet Paper Rolls down. I got the first part, but the ending with the Green Triangle part is where I am having problems. Iā€™ll try and get it posted of what I have so far today. Hope everyone is having a great morning so far :slight_smile:

6 Likes