MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

Indeed! Your photo yesterday inspired me to bring it out to play today :smiley:

I donā€™t know that Iā€™m honestly comfortable going any longer right now. I keep lengthening my strings and Iā€™m just now starting to get comfortable at the current length.
Iā€™m using a Markmont Blue Eyes White Dragon string, and the knot is about 1 1/2 inches below the very end of the string as they come stock.
Iā€™m going to be trying several things out this week though, so maybe I will try a bit longer at some point.

1 Like

Very fun trickā€¦i need ti smooth it out a bunch but i think i can land it consistentlyā€¦ better then my momentum bindšŸ˜‰

6 Likes

I resisted longer string for a long timeā€¦ especially with anything $$$ā€¦ i got over it. Im careful with my good throws i usually play over a mat or wood floorsā€¦ for outside i have my MYYs.

I can vouch for the fact that since using a longer string as per suggested on this thread the slack and tech trick are easier. (Before lengthening my string couldnā€™t do them almost at all). Im 5ft3ā€¦ at home my string is shoulder to ground. My edc is only mid sternum to the ground.

Try a slightly longer string. Youā€™ve got plenty of throws to experiment with.

3 Likes

How tall are you @twitch77?

1 Like

Thatā€™s super long! :flushed:

Lately Iā€™ve been going about an inch shy of the bottom of my sternum. Itā€™s only a few inches longer than I was doing before but itā€™s helped a lot with dense mounts, slack stuff, and undercuts. Iā€™m scared to go any longer since 99.9% of the time Iā€™m throwing over the concrete floor of work or my basement.

4 Likes

You got used to the longer string but i use shorter string still when iā€™m outside but i keep going longer as i get more comfortable. I think string length is proportional to your hightā€¦ that equation leaves a short guy like me with a uncomfortable long string for throws. But it actually makes the tricks easier

2 Likes

I think Iā€™m 5ā€™11" but I should re-measure myself to be sure lol.

My string is right around halfway between my belly button and sternum (when itā€™s attached to my finger). Iā€™ll try it a bit longer tomorrow.

2 Likes

Can I at least get an E for effort?

Making some progress on Jackā€™s Slack.

Being more gentle with the second pop on Spirit Bomb feels a lot better then what I was doingā€¦but Iā€™ve still not hit the trick quite yet.
Iā€™m getting there. Will feel great when I land my first!!

I have a couple more vids Iā€™m working on Iā€™m going to upload as well. lolā€¦even though Iā€™m totally in one of my bedtime shirts :stuck_out_tongue:. I really donā€™t like the way I look on cameraā€¦but Iā€™m trying to brave it out anyhow and to keep on uploading videos. I think itā€™s good to build my self esteem a bit.

4 Likes

And some more Spirit Bomb close callsā€¦lol, Iā€™ll get this trick down eventually! My soul will not rest!!

3 Likes

And I thought this one was kinda cool.
A (failed) Spirit Bomb into a Kamikaze.

4 Likes

Man you almost got it!! You are struggling with the suicide because the string attached to you yoyo is about the same length of the string that should create the slack. When you rotate in position before the suicide, try to keep the fulcrum of rotation as close as possible to the yoyo. So the slack will be bigger

3 Likes

Thanks @ChrysaeThrows

And itā€™s nice to hear from ya! I hope you week is going well!

1 Like

Wellā€¦ could go better, thatā€™s my 4th day of quarantine, and it will go on at least until April 3rd. But hey, I have a lot of time for yoyoing!! (not really actually, Iā€™m working from homeā€¦ lol)

2 Likes

Did you do Jackā€™s Slack yet? Itā€™s hard to prevent the two lengths from being close to equal. Even in the tutorial the fulcrum string is almost too long. Makes the suicide a little difficult, the motion has to be just right.

That sucks dude. Stay sane man; guess thatā€™s not too hard when youā€™ve got yo-yos to play with. Iā€™m not quarantined but Iā€™m going crazy from having to take it easy on the yo-yoing right now.

Least I can throw a bit. I finally learned momentum bind. Also got Jackā€™s Slack down pretty quickly. I think the only thing Iā€™m still behind on is barrel rolls/boingy boing.

Soon as I feel a bit better Iā€™m going to make some new videosā€”hard to make videos when I yo-yo for only 5 minutes at a time.

2 Likes

Bonus points for being able to spend more time with your shoulder cat! lol :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@ryanmcg
Man, I canā€™t wait for things to cool down for you and youā€™re able to jump back into the swing of things.

Nice job on getting the Bind and Slack down!! :smiley:

1 Like

Understood, that was what I was worried about, cause I did not start working on jack slack yet. Iā€™ll start now tho and let you know how I feel with it

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m confident Iā€™ll be back to my normal curmudgeonly self in not too long :rofl:

1 Like

Youā€™ve got it, but for some reason your GT is shrinking. Maybe keep your TH lower once youā€™re in the GT? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Guys you know what? Itā€™s exactly the opposite of what I suggested. You have to land far from the fulcrum, near your th to have the slack bigger.

8 Likes