MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

lol omg! that was bad***! You added so many cool elements to it! I SO dream to be at your skill level one day!

3 Likes

Guess I need to invent a trick called sprout bomb now.

5 Likes

Itā€™s just experience rather than skill really. Iā€™ve done a trick a week for a year previously and went through a ton of tutorials that way. Iā€™m not at a point where I can build my own combos yet but iā€™m getting there with stitching bits of tutorials together. I know itā€™s a bit cliche to say but if i can do it, anyone can.

5 Likes

Well people like you keep me inspired, hopeful and committed. I just keep blindly following the hope that with enough time and practice Iā€™ll slowly start getting there and hearing stuff like this keeps me going!
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Iā€™m still firmly on that journey man. My goal for joining this trick a week is to force myself to build a combo each week rather than just doing a tutorial. Get a bit more experience that way and learn a bit more intuitively. I also really like helping folk out so Iā€™m here for that too. On that noteā€¦

Sorry I went out of frame with the loop. Hopefully people can still make out whatā€™s going on and the technique i use.

Edit: If you slow mo my earlier video from about 17 seconds on it shows the loop from a front view.

3 Likes

@Oddb0y you are off the hookā€¦i dig the casual way you throw a reeDunkulous set of tricks with this weekā€™s elements thrown in. Good job bro. I agree this trick a week is great for your skills at any level. Thanks for the tips and extra video.

4 Likes

Iā€™m slowly catching up. I think I have momentum bind down.

5 Likes

Trick-A-Week Challenge WEEK #12 CANDY RAINā€¦

A trick suggested by @ryanmcg :slight_smile:

This is going to be another tough one for me for sure! And Iā€™m already behind on a few tricks in this challenge!

Howeverā€¦I look forward to challengesā€¦I think working on things above my skill level is good and will help me develop better in the long run.
So bring it on! :smiley:

And this one looks really fun to me to work on! Itā€™s a long one too! Lots of little steps!

I hope everyone has a great week!! :smiley:

5 Likes

I know some of you figured it out already so i found a fancy version to give u ideasā€¦

I like this trickā€¦i havenā€™t had to learn such a long formula since organic chemistry.

4 Likes

Landed the speed combo a couple times, not smooth/consistent enough to film.
I donā€™t understand the bind on the momentum for some reason hitting it 20%.
Canā€™t find the gap to land spirit bomb.

This latest trick looks super fun, great choiceā€¦canā€™t hit the first rejectionšŸ˜€

4 Likes

/sighā€¦

Any advice guys?

I feel like Iā€™m inching closer and closer to burning out :(.
This past month with this challenge has been tough. I didnā€™t get anywhere close to the injection trick we did, struggled like mad with the Picture Slideshow trick (though that was actually a ton of fun to work on and I felt like I learned a ton that week by pushing myself through itā€¦and now itā€™s one of my favorite tricks that I have down pretty dang consistent)ā€¦Momentum Bind kicked my butt but at least I got a couple of them done (and on camera) by the end of the weekā€¦though I still struggle a ton with the trick (I have everything consistent on it except with the last hop into a bind)ā€¦
Then these last 2 weeks have really gotten me down.
Man I was pumped up with Spirit Bomb. I thought I was going to have it by midweek and I couldnā€™t wait to get it on film to show you guys!
Butā€¦it wasnā€™t happening :frowning:. Hundreds of attempts and I just couldnā€™t get it. I spent 2 hours in front of a stupid camera on Sundayā€¦I even dressed up all goofy like in a goofy green hat, goofy green bow tie and some goofy green glasses (lol I had too much fun at a dollar store!)ā€¦but yeah. I had to throw in the white towel and it got me down.
I knew right away inside that I wasnā€™t going to be able to hit last weekā€™'s Ryo Combo.
Being deflated from the previous week and a seriously lack of sleep really had me down last week.
I never even made it past the part where you intercept the string from beneath the yo on the Ryo Combo :(.

And nowā€¦Candy Rain. I really donā€™t think I can hit it and itā€™s got me feeling really low about things. I have a friend who keeps telling me that itā€™s much easier then it looksā€¦and I know heā€™s just trying to be encouragingā€¦but man, itā€™s daunting and Iā€™m already having some issues with just the very first 2 parts of the trick. The Magic Drop thingy and then the bit after it.
Now I am getting through this actuallyā€¦at first I couldnā€™t figure out how to do that magic drop thing, but Iā€™m finally starting to get itā€¦and Iā€™m even starting to get into the mount after it (the one after you drop the string off your nth pointer finger)ā€¦

But manā€¦at this point Iā€™m feeling a bit defeated from the previous weeks and I have all this frustration built up in me and Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m about to burn out a bit.
Iā€™m really scared that Candy Rain is going to kick my butt like several of our pasts tricksā€¦and I just donā€™t feel up to it.

Challenges are great and can be a lot of funā€¦but damn, itā€™d be nice to feel like Iā€™m actually on top of things againā€¦the last few weeks Iā€™ve felt so behind with these tricks and like with last weekā€™sā€¦so incapable.

Sorry for the huge wall of words here.
Iā€™m just venting.
Iā€™m frustrated.
I wish I could keep upā€¦I feel like Iā€™m so far behind.

I donā€™t plan on giving up. This hobby has taught me a lotā€¦and I plan on using these feelings of frustration and wanting to quit as an opportunity to push myself through my discomfort and negative self talk.

But mehā€¦I just want a win under my belt dang it lol. These tricks are kick my ***!

2 Likes

Does everyone go through this? Is this just part of developing a skill?

Feeling so incapable of something and things feeling damn near impossible to youā€¦and then feeling really frustrated about it?
ā€¦Until slowly (with tons of effort)ā€¦things actually start coming together for you?

I think it was @ryanmcg that said something along the lines of "things are difficultā€¦until theyā€™re notā€™. Simple statement, but so true!
And I have a whole long list as we all do of examples of things (tricks and elements) in this hobby that were super hard for us to learn and to get consistant atā€¦but now we can do them without hardly even thinking about it).

ā€¦just thinking out loud a bit.

And itā€™s like a lot of other things that require a lot of time and effort to become skilled with (like learning to play an instrument)ā€¦
I think a lot of people jump into these things all pumped and excited about it and eager to learn!
But then they start struggling with just the very basicsā€¦when what they really dream about is doing all the awesome yo tricks, or playing their favorite songs on their guitar.
They realize quickly just how much time and effort itā€™s going to take to actually get thereā€¦
And many people quit at this early point

I really think that itā€™s the people who hold onā€¦those who refuse to quitā€¦that get really good in this hobby. The ones who push through the self doubt.

It can be so easy to think about the futureā€¦where you want to beā€¦all the awesome tricks you want to be able yo pull off.
And itā€™s good to think about the future.
But I need to keep myself in the present as well. To let myself be proud of what I can do now and to let myself enjoy the little steps Iā€™m taking now. The little accomplishments.

Itā€™s like Iā€™m trying to compare myself to my future self. My future self is able to do Candy Rain like itā€™s nothing to meā€¦my future me is a real bad *** (lol)ā€¦but ā€˜here and nowā€™ self is struggling even with the first steps of Candy Rain, let alone being able to complete it! So Iā€™m beating my current self up because Iā€™m comparing myself to the future meā€¦
When insteadā€¦I should really just be proud that Iā€™m even starting to get the first couple of bits of the trick down after less than an hour of working on it.

So I need to keep things in perspective. Itā€™s fun to think about how cool I am in the future hahaā€¦but I also gotta go easy on my current self.

ā€¦
lol not sure why Iā€™m so talkative today.
Guess I just needed to do some venting.

I love this hobby. Itā€™s meant SO much to me over this last year.
Iā€™m not ready to throw in the white towel. Far from it.
I am frustrated and I am struggling with a lot of self doubts hereā€¦
But Iā€™m planning to ā€˜keep on keeping on!ā€™

3 Likes

Donā€™t do that. Thatā€™s how you burn out. Too much build up, for a trick I know not a single person who has gotten it down in a single week.

No one who hadnā€™t already learned it got the Ryo combo on video last week. Edit: correction: no one other than @AKYOYOMIKE, but maybe I missed someone else, since I wasnā€™t following very closely because I was so burnt out :grinning:

Itā€™s been 1 day. If youā€™ve gotten anywhere at all on Candy Rain yet, thatā€™s a win.

Youā€™re way too hard on yourself. Instead of trying to speed up, slow down. Yo-yo as much as you can, but donā€™t spend all your time practicing the TaW trick. Take a break when it starts getting frustrating and do something fun that you already know.

Keep working on getting more sleep.

2 Likes

Sometimes you plateau for a bit before regaining ascension. Having used many different props I can testify to this. Step away and put focus elsewhere ( even other tricks) so that frustration can subside. Enjoy being. And then return with some good energy.
Easier said than done.
Patiently persistent.

In my fire troupe we have a saying:
:beers: to those who make it :beers:
Its very proud. Itā€™s sometimes sad. Itā€™s always true.

4 Likes

So. I have other hobbies other than yoyoing, specifically playing guitar and drawing. Both of those are incredibly technical activities, in which the measure of how good you are is not subjective at all. Equally, the way in which you get good is technical too. It requires, besides practicing systematically, for you to know your limitations and current level of skill. Knowing this is not for you to stay in your ā€œnoobā€ lane, but required to advance further.

So i guess what i want to say is that, if you are aware of your level of skill, why do you keep choosing tricks that always render to be impossible for you at your current skill level? That would be like me trying to recreate a whole Mozart composition. While the challenge is exciting, I would fail to complete my intial objective, which is to succesfully complete the piece. Iā€™d say this trick challenge is very similar to that. Your objective is to succesfully complete a trick each week, and youā€™re more than right to feel bad for not being able to complete a task you subjected yourself to.

I would suggest to maybe choose tricks that are more doable from your skill level. Maybe, if you skipped to master a lot of fundamentals, you are seeing the result of that when trying tricks that were created assuming you already knew them.

Just to clarify. This is not happening to you because you suck. Scales Open just happened, and after saying i was going to enter, i didnā€™t, because i did worked and filmed a freestyle to submit. Took me almost two weeks to film it clean, but when i clicked it, it scored so embarrasingly low, I decided to simply just not enter, since time to work on a new one was over. Now i know i need to work on my ā€œbasicsā€ you could say, and then i will have the skill to group a set of tricks in a way that would score high at a contest.

3 Likes

I love tricks like this. It has many common/familiar mounts in it so just have fun with the parts of the trick you can do. Start with a brother mount and go from there. Or start in a hudini mount and practice that part. Add the fun bits that you can figure out to another trick or combo and they become muscle memory. Next time you try the full trick your mind can focus on the more difficult parts because the easy bits kind of just happen all on there own. There is no need to master the trick in one week.

Practice the repeater part of candy rain. That part is fun and really not too bad once you get the flow figured out. The very last part is where I tend to goof up the most. I need to practice managing the string on my NTH better to make more room to land the yoyo the final time right before dropping the strings from my TH.

3 Likes

I know how you feel I got really burnt out of a bit on the absurdity tricks. Some things you just have to take one step at a time and get satisfaction from learning each part rather than whole trick. Iā€™m getting far behind to but we just gotta slowly keep working and not forget that we do this because itā€™s fun!

Hereā€™s some of my catch up:

4 Likes

Magic drop toss over the TH thumbā€¦ holly chow that is not an easy elementā€¦ just thinking about it is complex. Either i toss with out the rejection or i just iand a regular magic drop. Does the regect occur in mid air?
If anyone has any pointers let me know.

On another note a few weeks back i found this tutorial which has a few similar elements to candy rain. I thought it might be useful or interesting to some. Houdini mount comboā€¦ very cool and easy

4 Likes

Do a Magic drop, but instead of catching it, move your NTH closer to your TH and let it fall over your NTH. You can move your hands toward your TH side as the rejection happens to help it miss if you need.

2 Likes

I think that as cool as this thread has been and I will forever be thankful that it introduced me to Smoothie that maybe one trick per week is too much (for me at least anyway).

Yoyoing is something to enjoy and pressuring yourself to learn loads of stuff beyond your skill level will just lead to frustration. Personally I am not even attempting any of these longer combo ones, I currently just have zero interest!

4 Likes