MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

Happy cake day man!

3 Likes

Wow, thank you! :grin:
Gotta admit it took me a minute to understand how you knewā€¦ I was 1000% confused until I saw the forum adds a little cake-thing :rofl:

4 Likes

Happy birthday dude!!!

3 Likes

lol :joy:
Happy birthday man!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @MoonageMin and @twitch77 :smiley:

For my cake day, hereā€™s some progress for week 4 and 5:

Week 4 and 5 were my favorite so far.
I love the Smoothie trick so much! I only started learning it this morning and later today but I instantly loved its elements and flow. It just all feels really naturalā€¦ Iā€™m definitely gonna try to look into more tricks like that.

Whip slaps with Jade/Follow on the other handā€¦ I still suck lol.

6 Likes

Wow your speed of progress is scary!

I saw your duck pond on IG already, but that smoothie is looking smooth!

3 Likes

Heck yeah! Great progress! Youā€™re blazing through these and thatā€™s awesome!!
Very clean Smoothie there!

3 Likes

Oh and super cute title screens btw! :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:
I try to keep my consuming/creating ratio balanced through the day (something Iā€™d strongly encourage anyone to give a shot).
And since Iā€™m not really creating tricks any time soon, I thought at least I could try to create a little doodle of every trick I learn/consume since discovering this topic.

Honestly discovering Trick-a-Week has been such a boost in motivation, I donā€™t feel sad anymore that I couldnā€™t convince any of my IRL friends to learn yoyo tricks with me.

5 Likes

We all need that special someone to share our progress and success with.
I will be your spiritual guide on your journey :laughing:

3 Likes

Okay so Iā€™m making some pretty good progress with Jade Whip. Spent 4+ hours on it over the last couple of days. My shoulder starts to hurt real bad after about 15ā€™ish minutes haha.

This trick looks SO simpleā€¦and I mean it really is simpleā€¦but thereā€™s so many little tiny subtle things to it.
Each day I work on it Iā€™m realizing new things I hadnā€™t realized before with itā€¦and Iā€™m very slowly increasing my consistency.
Itā€™ll likely be a very long time before I get to the point where I can do it time after time without missing like you see in the tutorial videos.

How are you guys doing with these tricks?
I havenā€™t even touched Follow yet.

4 Likes

If your shoulder is hurting youā€™re probably whipping too fast. You should almost be letting it just fall into the gap while youā€™re holding the string so the yo-yo doesnā€™t drop. Give it just enough of a whipping motion to get the slack moving.

Even when you do it faster it doesnā€™t require much effort for the whip.

4 Likes

As for me, Iā€™ve got Jade down pretty well, Iron I really donā€™t like but Iā€™m getting better at itā€”I used to be pretty consistent at it, Iā€™m not quite sure what my problem isā€”and Follow I can do about 30% of the time, but getting better.

I really havenā€™t spent enough time working on the tricks these past two weeks.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had a hard time just having enough time and energy to myself to throw here in these 2 weeks. Kinda just been seizing the moments I do have some steam to flow on what I know.

Iā€™ll be back on my ******** though.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I think my Jade whip is pretty much consistent now, parked follow for now and currently working on Iron whip.
My consistency is like 5% though haha, canā€™t quite figure out what I am doing different when I catch vs when I miss so still trying to figure this one out. When I get this a bit more consistent Iā€™m going to go back to working on follow. :slight_smile:

Also I learnt cheese whip and Magic Trick last night :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very cool!! :smiley:

2 Likes

At least your VW Bug has tires. I feel like my Jade Whips are the Yugo of yoyo tricks

https://images.app.goo.gl/LQJmocGm5w3snQqy7

3 Likes

A real paramount engineering achievement!
Yugo defeats the competitors!!
Do not hold your horses!

2 Likes

Are you hard on yourself French?

Itā€™s something I have such a difficult time with! I get frustrated with my slow progress and the self doubts and frustrations really hinder me.

3 Likes

I tend to joke about my lack of progress, I really canā€™t say it bothers me too much. I get it that we all have tricks that are easy and ones that are tough. I try not to let the ones easy for me to learn make me overly proud, nor the ones that are harder make me overly sad.

Jade Whip has been a challenge. I know I will eventually get it, when my brain and muscle lock in on it. I guess what Iā€™m trying to say is I have managed to avoid the trap of letting my self worth be defined only by my yoyo skill set.

4 Likes