MoonageMin's Trick-a-Week 2021 [Finished, check out TaW 2022]

Happy birthday @ryanmcg !

If you can understand the yotricks tutorial without mirroring it, more power to you! It just wasnā€™t computing with my head with everything ā€œbackwardsā€ and was making it hard to understand for me personally. I know mrmatio posts mirrored versions of his videos for left-handed folk so I thought it might be appreciated here.

4 Likes

Im starting to get some consistency on the first hop. Iā€™ve got the motion down for the most part and can (very sketchily) land like one in 5ish. I keep nudging the slack as I put my hand through and landing on both strings though. Havent even made an effort to learn beyond the hops lol.

Happy birthday!

2 Likes

I kinda liked Evanā€™s left handed tutorial. It seemed easier for me to follow. If he went right (left to me) I just followed left, right to him. Ha?

3 Likes

Haha, thanks for all the ā€œhappy birthdaysā€. You guys are the best.

Thatā€™s great! I assume youā€™re finding the second hop pretty easy? When I do the second the string flips over my NTH so quick and effortlessly I can basically just ignore it and focus on the undercut to land the yo-yo. That first one is hard though. The string doesnā€™t flip as quick and the yo-yo is already falling before I have the loop around my wrist. I think I need to hop the yo-yo a bit higher, but so far I keep losing the string on my NTH when I do.

I got out my Betty Galagos (Pink/Rainbow) OG Edge for luck. Thatā€™s when I got lucky and landed the first hop. Now I need to figure out how I did it :rofl:

3 Likes

The second hop is definitely a lot easier but still doesnā€™t ā€œfeelā€ good when I land it if that makes sense.

I just realized this as I type, but I think Im trying to do the first pops undercut too close to the yoyo. That could explain how the slack gets pushed back in the gap after its fully released during the catchā€¦and why Im not set up as well for the second hop.

2 Likes

TaW #6 ZipperStalls

Looks like last weeks trick is knot HOPining.
Its February and that means we get to Fix thing up a bit :upside_down_face:. Sorry if my humor stalls. Wooden" you like me to continueā€¦

0A can be very satisfying and very frustrating at the same time. There is a lot of flexibility in the flow of the tricks. Since i am not a expert by any means at 0A im going to try and pick tricks that will set a good foundation for the rest of the Fridayā€™s in the year.

If you havenā€™t read @edhaponik
ed [...]: 0a. Check it out.

This week lets learn some basic Stalls. ZIPPER! Zipper is a repeater trick so if you know stalls letā€™s see some repeaters videosā€¦if you can zipper repeat then letā€™s see a SBM zipper repeater as demoed by @edhoponik in the tutorial below.

Happy Fixed Friday.

11 Likes

Solid pick Mike!!!

5 Likes

Oh wow @edhaponik used to be fat I would never have imagined until I saw that :joy:

Not for Nagao anyway. Iā€™m gonna keep working on it, maybe one day Iā€™ll Evan be able to land it.

Sorry, Iā€™ll see myself out.

5 Likes

My apologies. Iā€™m in the middle of a moveā€¦ my head is a bit scrambledā€¦I thought it was Friday! Been carrying a wooden yoyo for 4 days i thought it was Friday x4! Wow. Sorry about that.

7 Likes

Not gonna lie, I had a ā€œwait itā€™s Friday already?!ā€ moment when I saw the post lol

7 Likes

Not gonna lie, Mike sent me a message yesterday asking if itā€™s Friday tomorrow (as in today) and I said yes. :rofl:

8 Likes

The multiple wednesday timestamps make that even better :joy:

5 Likes

Cheating on Fixed Feb. today to get caught up on some TaW challenges and filming.:speak_no_evil:

Anybody hit Nagao Hops yet?

5 Likes

Nopeā€¦ but my fixy combos are coming along.
The easy OA tricks thread by @TheThrowingGnome are great.

I canā€™t seem to hit zipper for a repeater consistently. I can get the SBM stall but not the somersault etcā€¦

5 Likes

Bam!

9 Likes

Not quite, you have any luck?

I still canā€™t quite hit the first hop in the repeater. The second hop (almost the reverse of the first) I can do pretty easily. Iā€™ve been looking at what Iā€™m doing differently, and on the second Iā€™m tossing the yo-yo in a much higher arc. When I try to do the same with the first, I usually miss catching the loop around my wrist, or the loop doesnā€™t form right. Iā€™m getting closer, but I think itā€™s going to take a while.

Iā€™m going to practice it(just the repeater) a bit every day, along with my everyday attempts at Beefhook(which is starting to pay off).

4 Likes

Eh was that a Duncan? Very well done bro.

2 Likes

Im getting closer! After the second hop I was landing in a slightly different mount than the start which wouldnā€™t let me do the repeater, but think I got it figured out last night. At this point I think Iā€™ve got all the motions and its just a matter of grinding it out for a while but its a tough one

4 Likes

Iā€™ll let you know when Iā€™m done practicing today.:+1: This is my first day really giving it a go, and I understand what I need to do, but Iā€™m having trouble casting the slack with the chop motion. Otherwise itā€™s great(if you overlook the main elementā€‹:smiley:)

4 Likes