Monometal shape weight distribution question

So I’m a huge fan of bimetals with weight rings that are pushed back from the rim like the Breeze, the Raiser and the Statement. This provides most of the benefits of rim weighted bimetals (stability and spin time, though not quite to the same extent) without feeling like a brick. Instead they have that hollow like, lighter feeling that is often described as floaty.

What monometal shape would have the closest weight distribution to this? This is assuming that the rims haven’t been beefed up with extra weight, and excluding designs that incorporate an inner ring like some CLYWs.

3 Likes

I imagine when you say an inner ring you mean like this?

If not this is one a highly recommend. I don’t believe there is a single yoyo that has impressed me more at that price.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I mean by an inner ring. I don’t dislike that design element, in fact I really like it, I’m just wondering if there’s a shape that lends itself to that type of distribution naturally without the added ring.

1 Like

The Top Deck is phenomenal yoyo that fits this description. Hopefully the picture shows it properly, but it’s very thin at the rim, and thickens up a good few mm towards the gap.

Very stable, nice amount of float. 7075 as well, so it’s one of my favorite monometals of all time.

7 Likes

Would you say the Prescription is similar in weight placement?

3 Likes

I don’t currently have one, but based off of the pictures on this website I’d say so. Appears to have a real thin rim and lots of center weight.

The Top Deck doesn’t appear to have quite as much weight in the center as the prescription, but it’s hard to say since I don’t have one.

4 Likes

Came here to say this. Top Deck plays as close to a bi-metal as a mono-metal can. It is one of the most powerful, non-brickish yoyos I own, AND it is super comfy in the hand. Honestly, it’s kind of a masterpiece.

@Durfee the OD Top Deck should definitely be on your short-list, it totally fits your criteria

5 Likes

@JohnnyJ @smileypants707

So what I’m seeing so far is it’s really not a particular shape that can replicate this but really how that manufacturer chooses to distribute the weight whether with wall thickness or inner rim configurations.

3 Likes

I would suggest looking at yoyos with a middle ring, like this ones:

Borealis 2

borealis2

Vector

Dang2

dang2

Notice how all of those have mass concetrated more towards the middle instead of the edge of the rim. That kind of weight distribution will give you the feeling you’re looking for.

7 Likes

Yeah I’ve had my eyes on designs like that for sure. I was just curious if maybe certain shapes themselves helped distribute weight that way without needing the inner ring and it seems like that’s probably not the case.

2 Likes

H and W shapes are definetely best at this. Organics obligate mass to be evenly distributed, and angular shapes are most usually rim-heavy desings.

4 Likes

How about something like the Terrarian with a super exaggerated W shape?

2 Likes

It could be, but by observing the terrarian it seems like it distributes it’s weight more evenly instead of concentrating it on a certain place.

4 Likes

Alright thanks you’ve helped a lot. These were suspicions I had but really wasn’t completely sure about. It’s definitely helpful to know what design elements lead yo-yos to play/ feel certain ways when you don’t have the ability to try them all and are looking for a particular feeling.

6 Likes

Look what I’ve found! Probably the new Legendary Terrarian might be the solution. It solves the distribution by concentrating mass in the middle, look at how the cups vary.

This is very interesting. I’ve never noticed that before.

7 Likes

The Onedrop Topdeck as everyone else has said.

1 Like

You know who remembered? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

5 Likes

Gonna need one of these now. Great. Thanks a LOT. Too bad I think @twitch77 got the last green one.

3 Likes

Sorry about that!
It’s one of my faves! :green_heart:

3 Likes

I am so hurt you have no idea. On the bright side you have saved me $80 and an argument with my wife. So thank you!

2 Likes