Modeling a yoyo for manufacturing

hey does anybody have any knowledge on how to model things also im using a school computer

I’d suggest a 3d camera and some half decent CAD software to transfer the image to a workable CAD.

Essentially you need to do this.

Model Yoyo with image capture tools →
Use captured images and port to CAD software →
Use CAD software to modle and tweak for production/rendering

1 Like

FreeCAD is a free, open-source parametric modeler. I have been using it for my yoyo company since 2021, including 15 yoyo models that I’ve had manufactured or prototyped.

It has its own collection of tutorials: Tutorials - FreeCAD Documentation

This short video series talks about design/physics/manufacturing of yoyos. A must-watch.

Here’s a playlist that walks through the entire process of taking a yoyo design from concept to production. The resulting yoyo was the Mk1 Spyglass.

This thread has a lot of useful information as well, many other folks have designed/produced their own yoyos and shared their stories on these forums.

7 Likes

As Mark said use freecad to follow those tutorials then you can learn to export to blender to showcase the design well.

1 Like

I would be interested in a listing of the tools that can complete this task. Have you done this?

not yet

Probably something like the Intel RealSense and a turn table.

That looks cool.

It’s the “turning the file into a workable CAD file” that is the tricky part. If folks have a clean way to do that I would be interested in learning.