Making Your String Rig More Effecient - Tips and Tricks

Yes.

I do like the new strings you sent me…

I get mine for $2 and get 3000 yards.

But you don’t need a vid to discuss the type of thread to use.

1 Like

Technically you don’t need a vid to discuss anything at all. You could describe a trick with text and pictures (as many have done!).

“You don’t want to use generic 70gsm thread. See this here? (holds up to video camera) Even without being played on a yoyo, it’s just a bit fuzzy looking. That’s a warning sign. This on the other hand (grabs other thread) is SuperThreadX… you can see already (holds up to video camera) that it’s smooth and consistent looking.”

Is a video NEEDED? Probably not. But most podcasts, webcasts, and tutorial videos are made so that the lesson can become more of a conversation and be more personal. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be accompanied by a list of good supplies. Or that it would be the “first and most important” video or anything.

Why such a strong opinion on a silly thing?

Well TECHNICALLY, the amount a kind of thread frays doesn’t really impact it’s performance - there are a few different kinds of “fray-y” threads that make pretty darn good strings.

I’m still deciding on what to make the videos on. Really, sorry for the delay guys.

1 Like

Well, sure. I don’t know anything about string. :wink: Just a fake example of how a conversation could go. No idea what you might actually say on the topic, but any insights are still just fine in a video, supplemented by a shopping list perhaps!

You tell me. I merely made the simple comment.

Oh my gosh! Thats AMAZING. I need to do this, but how much is for everthing to make the rig?

Not much. A couple planks of wood, forty wall hooks, ten screw eyes… Stuff that’s cheap and easy to find at any hardware store.

The only really expensive thing is the dremel, but most people have something that can twist things laying around the house.

1 Like

Wow! great job on the guide but making string seems like a lot of work I think Ill keep buyo=ing string

Can get almost everything you need to make a similar rig at a dollar store here in Ontario Canaduh called “Dollarama”.

Aw that video was never made…

Tried, couldn’t make a quality video.

I’d be happy to answer any questions, though.

1 Like

Ok cool thanks! Even if they arent quality you could still post it.

1 Like

No offense Logi but why are your strings like $1 per yard? if you get 2000 yards for $2?

I don’t speak for him but do realize there can be somewhere around 12 passes in a string so that is $2 for 250 yards of string technically, but a lot of that an get lost so height be paying closer to $2 for 200 yards, and he has probably spent money on a rig and his expertise and the strings are good. Plus in the end you can charge whatever you want if people will pay. Oh and yoyoexpert takes a cut.

On an unrelated note, I don’t personally really have the space to create a big rig, or the need, so I create one string at a time. The way I have found to help with knot tying is to dictator the end of the strings down. While not perfect this speeds things up. And if you are lazy like me and don’t want to create a “trident” you can just use a long rod like a large screwdriver

so its 2020 its been 7 years sense the last post here but I think this is a really good thread so string makers read this whole thread

4 Likes

so I’ve just tried this and it’s amazing, I don’t have a Dremel or the fancy rig to put your thread spools on but I used a swivel and did that thing where you put the strings like this, it really helped with speeding up my string making adventures

5 Likes

Woah. Genius

3 Likes