Designing string rigs

So, i am trying to design a rig and i need to confirm if can be functional. I still want to include a thread group(er??) like @MarkD’s though.

• How can i improve it?
  • Can i see your string rigs and their designs? (If you did design first xd)
7 Likes

I thiiiiiink @MarkD has a folding rig? He might be able to help

2 Likes

Mine folds for storage. It’s not really necessary otherwise.

Here’s that photo album again:

I can make a batch of 5 strings in about 15 minutes with pretty good consistency.

The thing for holding the spools is the most important part of this efficiency. Past that you just want as many hooks on each side as you can comfortably manage, because switching between laying out the strings and running the dremel takes a bit of time.

Note that while you need a reduction-eyelet and two end hooks per string you’re doing at one time, you only need one folding-hook per couple of strings.

Start out by designing it too long, then shortening the rig if needed. It’s a lot harder to make the rig longer after the fact. Mine is around 11-12 feet long at the moment, when unfolded.

6 Likes

^^ what he said. I think 9’ might be a little short. I’ve got a 12’ rig and the string comes out super long, but I’d rather trim string over potentially making the rig too short and all of my strings come out too short. Plus maybe some day I’ll get the nerve to play with a 6’ long string lol

4 Likes

Those things inside are half a foot and supposedly- should be drawn out (like a drawer, basically.)

so that would make a maximum of 10 feet.
I might make it longer though.

2 Likes

10’ should probably be good. Unless you like super long string

2 Likes

Im small and i use short string so i guess it would be a waste of thread if i went for longer xd

3 Likes

Start with 1 10-foot run and shorten it from there. You can get your rig dialed into your exact length preference after a few practice runs.

4 Likes

Try it at whatever length without the rig (nails in a fence, wall, whatever). Then you will have a good idea of what’s going to work for you.

5 Likes

I love that you help people make a product that you sell. You are the best kind of person.

I was thinking of making a very compact rig that includes telescoping PVC. I think it would be relatively inexpensive, and I could also put flames on it for speed. Thoughts?

2 Likes

As long as it doesn’t flex too much. I guess it depends on the diameter. Yeah, you could use a slip/slip connector to break it down if needed. You could drill holes where needed and even put a T-connector on one end to keep it from rolling.

Flames would give it the coolness factor so go for it!

PS - You could extend the size with another coupling and pipe if needed.

1 Like

Yeah extending of necessary was my main thought when someone else mentioned PVC. I’d have hooks in the T connectors, and maybe just a hole/pin setup to extend it. That way I can push it together as well and just pin it somewhere else.

Ah, I see. Very flexible on length then. Just make sure the smaller diameter one doesn’t flex too much. Better to have it make up a small percentage of the full length. Also, sand down the outer edges of the larger one, so no snags on string or you!

1 Like

Sound advice. You know you could circumvent the need for my rig and just sell me a ton of 100% nylon red strings. That’d be pretty cool. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the telescope idea! Could also be amazing for storage!

Now, where’s the fun in that?

2 Likes

I have much respect for you talking and advising us homemade string guys. That said, while I’m 100% happy with my homemade cotton (for fixed axle play), I haven’t gotten a poly/nylon to play & feel like Type X…so, you are stuck selling your string to me :laughing:

1 Like