making a routine for competition

hey guys. so in regional competitions we only get 2 minutes

i have tried to put everything i know and i cant do it in 2 minutes. does that mean i play slow?
what types of moves are worth the most poitns and hwat should elements do you guys put in your routine.

thanks

btw never been to a competition before

have at least a few overhead tricks, judges look (or at least some) for that

what do you mean by overhead.?

tricks that go over your head

or under leg, or behind the back. see the trick leg wrap trap. they all look really hard, but they are a lot easier than you think.

you get points (yes, there is a point system) from string contacts (where the yoyo touches the string) and spins (where the yoyo does 360Âș like a brain twister). each is worth 1 point. you loose 1 point for missing the string and 2 if it gets tangled. i forget how much you loose if you need to switch out a yoyo, but it was a lot. or not.

i would say instead of playing slow, learn/make up more tricks. put in some sort of hop combo, and some brain twister combo. if you want a website that has great tuts besides yye, check out rethinkyoyo.com, youtube.com/user/xelala, or just find some on video sites. i am not saying use these tricks, i am telling you to get inspired by these tricks, or use elements from it.

for instance, i made up my favorite trick all based on a few moves from peng-pong (see rethinkyoyo). i have a full combo that has that feel.

now that you know what gets points, what looses points, and where to find new tricks, the last step is to have fun. it is all about enjoying yourself, and i usually suck at competitions, but i still have fun

Yeah, try body tricks. Tricks the involve using your leg, neck, arm you know, that kind of stuff. Also experiment with formations like you’ve never thought of trying a trick out of. Mess around with a double or nothing, there’s lots of good stuff you can do with that, or maybe a Ladder Mount. Or just try to make one up. Just experiment. :wink:

ive already made my own tricks with my own feel but thanks for the tip guys.

btw how what makes some worth more.

like in 2008 john ando played slow but with ihs body
mickey played fast. john won.? how? aer their certain types of tricks worth more?

Yeaaaahhhhhhh
instead of making something inaccurate up, let’s refer to some actual rules, shall we?

[quote=“”]

ohh cool. that helps alot more. thanks :smiley:

where is that rule book thing? please help ?

Protip: To follow a link denoted by red text, click on it.

It’s not about the fast play, it’s about how tech and difficult your tricks are mostly to be specific.

1, sorry, i didn’t make that up, i must have been misinformed.

2, elephark, those are only the rules to worlds, some other contests have different rules.

3, speed helps. speed itself doesn’t add points, but you can just fit more tricks into the required time limit.

[quote=“LookAYoYo,post:13,topic:21218”]
Fair enough, let’s look at a couple of other contests and see what they say.

Here’s USA nationals.

And here’s 44clash, which is indeed different but still not as you describe.

I can’t think of any contests that are judged how you say they are. Would you mind linking a recent/current contest’s official rules that specify any actual positive point/click quantities? I will be surprised if you can find one, because the current system is designed so that individual judges (and contests) can have different standards for judging and still produce meaningful results.

I’ve talked with a few people (serious competitors, even) who had a similar misunderstanding to you about how clicks work. While in many cases the results such a system as you describe produces will not differ significantly from how it actually works, it’s important to realize that there are judges who do simply click every string hit and there are judges who click half or a third as often depending on what’s actually happening in regards to difficulty, execution, and ‘innovation’; I’ve even heard of one judge who would only give a click if he liked the trick. In the end, each judge’s set of clicks is normalized to itself—that is, for each judge, the first-place guy gets 100 points and the remaining scores are expressed as a percentage of the first-place guy’s clicks. So it’s not so much about earning individual points as it is about doing lots of good stuff and not messing up or wasting time so you can end up with a better score than other people. Small but significant difference.

1 Like

Thanks for that elephark. when i did mention that i was probably missinformed. i congradulate you for including concrete details from other contests as well as worlds. i was not saying that the rules to worlds are different, but i just wanted a few more examples and that is what you delivered.

also, DXL was judged differently, but i think that it is the most unique contest out there (and my favorite so far).

I believe it is time for us all to get back to the original post