Maintenance and Modification division

There’s a lot of amazing stuff going on by not only some up and coming modders, but some well established modders. I feel the maintenance/modification area is being too cluttered.

First, I think it is fine as-is for people wanting to do maintenance. Use the area to “feed and care for your pet yoyo” so to speak. I also think it’s the suitable area to initiate questions about modifications, including those who want to do their own “real mods”.

At the same time, we have some amazing modders on the forum who I feel their amazing work deserves an less cluttered area to not only plug their services, but also to show off their work. I also think this area should be used to discuss how to do mods and talking about mods.

Along with that, I feel that the work of modders needs to have it’s own place to be displayed in the Exhibition area. This may be pushing the limits but it makes sense to me.

I’m not trying to suck up or anything.

I think people are looking to contact modders to have work done. Making it easier to find them is a win-win for both parties. I don’t think the stickied topic is sufficient. I think it should be it’s own area, not buried under modification/maintenance, such as how “help/recommendation” is buried under Reviews.

Help with maintaining yoyos is a growing issue. More new users mean more problems, or at least more people asking the same questions about the same problems over and over again.

Stuff for modification is more specialized. I also know it won’t be as active. However, there are a lot of people who do end up needing modifications, or usually repairs. There are some that have a real interest in learning how to do modifications.

I’m not a modder. I’m not really interested in mods mostly since I like my stuff to be as stock as possible whenever possible. I also don’t plan on becoming a modder as it doesn’t make sense for me to utilize my time line that. Anything further that siliconing a yoyo and cleaning and/or dry play treating a bearing is about as much modification I feel like ever doing, and I think we can all agree that these aren’t modifications.

What is also good about this is that one of the modders here is also a ForumeXpert, moderator/admin and does admin on the chat room, so we already have at least one person overly qualified to determine what should or shouldn’t be in what area.

So, those are my thoughts. I know it’s not completely necessary. I just like to compartmentalize things a bit

1 Like

Yes! We need a section for this!

Yes totally we definitely need this!

YES! YES! YEEEESSSS!

Mods and maintenance is intended (IMO) to be a how to do it, hands on kind of place. How to fix, how to modify etc. If you’ve done something that’s cool looking and want to show it off, put it in Yo-Yo Exhibition.

1 Like

What about a child board for a modders marketplace in the B/S/T? Each modder could have their own thread showing off their skills and advertising their services?

1 Like

Which is a less than effective way to display your work because the exhibition section is extremely fragmented and functions as a catchall for ‘I took a picture with my cellphone; look at it.’ Plus, the exhibition section doesn’t really cater itself to the higher level modification discussion that is fostered in the mods & maintenance board, albeit sprinkled amongst the chaff.

Which is why the nitty gritty of how to do it is what the mods and maintenance section is for.

I suggest those modders you want to have their own sections that arent cluttered to become a paying forum financial supporters/sponsors (so they are paying for their soecial areas) and pay their dues if they wont pay their way then I suggest no special attention to be paid to your request.