Magic = skill toy?

I have a debatable statement: magic is a skill toy. According to Yotricks it is, and i agree. you might agree to, or disagree terribly. So let’s talk about magic magic, magic, magic

1 Like

Yeah, it involves gadgets and tricky hand movements. Fascinating stuff fer sure…but magic itself is not a skill toy, it’s a craft. But like if you have certain object used to create illusion then that object could be considered a skill toy. But magic as whole I don’t think of as a skill toy any more than a writer could consider writing a skill toy. Even yoyoing is not a skill toy. The yoyo is a skill toy but not the yoyoing itself.

4 Likes

I think of magic as a performance art. Done well a magician generally hides their skill. But like a skill toy dexterity is involved.

3 Likes

But isn’t that in effect the skill? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Generally, I would call magic, yoyoing, juggling, etc. sleight of hand skills since they all focus on coordinated hand movements and benefit from moving too quickly for an untrained audience to understand the movements and mechanics of what you are doing

3 Likes

Magic is more of a fine craft. And a quick way to get everyone at a poker table to never trust you with shuffling a deck. To this day I’m not allowed to shuffle. I can’t even do those moves anymore after the stitches but to be fair, it’s not worth the risk for them haha.

I enjoyed learning some tricks when I got busted up and broken bones! Great way to help pass healing time as long as you could move a hand.

I recommend watching ‘Ricky J and his 52 assistants’ to everyone.

That and J.B. Bobo’s book Modern Coin Magic if you want to try coin manipulations.

For a simple and easy but fun to show/do gimmick trick, ‘Nickles to Dimes’ can’t be beat imho. The higher end machined ones are best, but even the cheaper ($8) one works.

I prefer the sloppy magic trick routine:
Top the nickles. Magic wave and words, whatever patter you prefer. Then instead of flipping the cap over to do the reveal, slide it off the edge of the counter/table and show it empty with Tada! They will clearly see and hear coins going into your hand. That’s when you do the change reveal in your hand.

Always remember, the trick is told, when the trick is sold… says every magic shop I’ve ever been in lol.

cartoon magic is good

2 Likes

Id say yes. But magic itself is a niche category since the whole purpose is meant to deceive and distort perspective. Card manipulation itself is a skill toy, but not necessarily magic. Impressive shuffling and flourishes arent magic if they don’t come with a twist.

But skill toys in general don’t come with that stipulation. Nobody is saying “omg magic” when you land a yoyo trick or a complex juggling pattern or a tech kendama trick. Same goes for fire, poi, etc. But you can use these props for magic if you are creative enough. I think we are beyond the stage where everyone thinks magicians are doing something unworldly; it is artistic object manipulation. This requires skill with the props. It is skill toys, but with a directed purpose.

2 Likes

I say omg magic all the time.

2 Likes

Lmao, I do too, but landing a difficult trick isn’t the same as “how TF does that even happen?” Magic is more about concealing the true skill with sleight of hand or whatever other methods you use. Id say it is a sub-genre of skill toy using music speak.

So when I did the man on trapeze then went into rock the cradle and said to my wife “Look, the Deathly Hallows”. Does that mean I just did magic?

But what is the toy? A yoyo is a toy. Begleri is a toy, a Rubik’s cube is a toy. Magic, like art,or music or writing are not toys by definition. Can crocheting be considered a skill toy?

technically, magic performances are psychological experiments, since they play with people’s inattentional blindness and change blindness

1 Like

If you use the crochet tools in a certain way, maybe? Magic can contain any props that can fool or deceive an audience, but seems to have a handful that are normally used. All of them involve manipulative skill that imo qualifies them to be skill toys. Magic is basically just an application. Ive seen Rubik’s cubes be part of an act in magic, but in and of itself it is a skill toy. But initially not meant as one. The lines blur as things progress.

1 Like

One big difference. Yoyo and other skill toys don’t require an audience.

4 Likes

So when you buy new yoyos and replace yoyos that are displayed in plain sight, and your wife doesn’t notice, it’s magic? I’m magic!!!

7 Likes

and it was on this day that skitrz would become the greatest yoyo illusionist known to man…

2 Likes

Woooot! Wooot!

2 Likes

I’ve always understood things like yo-yos and juggling are under the umbrella of the term Magic. Cards are not toys, so no. Magic is the “parent” term.