Made the Sunday paper :)

I don’t know if I see this the same way, Waylon. The majority of male players that I see winning competitions all seem to have one thing in common: svelt figures. Yeah a few have some ink, but we’re talking about some very slender gentlemen who don’t really embody machismo. Yes, yes. You can pluck out a handful of players that do not fit this mold, but the overwhelming majority of these guys do. Now, this DOES give them the flexibility that allows for behind the back, arm and neck tricks, and I’m thoroughly impressed by their skills, believe me. But the clean image can also be coming from their appearance. I’m not saying it’s right, just stating the unfortunate world we live in. But, bigger guys are going to be drawn towards strength related activities like football for example.

It also takes a significant amount of time to actually get good at throwing. Older folks just don’t have the opportunity to stake out an hour or two every day for one activity. The erratic attendance of every health club in America makes that very clear. Only the young have the space in their day to devote to throwing consistently. And its popularity seems to be affected by those two things. So I don’t think yoyoers have a mold like you imply. It’s just opportunity and body type.

On another note, your video above is quite compelling, and I enjoyed it very much. I’m a sculpture major, turned graphic design major, turned teacher and programmer, so I can appreciate your motivation for throwing. For me, throwing represents my journey back to an innocent time when I could just play because it was still light out.

I’m not sure I see the correlation between a clean image and a person’s body type. Is being fat edgy?

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Haven’t you heard of a party animal? It’s never the thin guy :wink:

No, I’m just saying that a thinner body type is perceived as non-threatening and thus a cleaner image. I suppose it’s not a steadfast rule, but I thought it was common enough to mention. I could be completely wrong. It’s been known to happen before. Just ask my fiancée.

I submit, for your examination; Santa Claus, John Pinette, Jonah Hill, John Candy, Gabriel Iglesias, Ralphie May, Luther Vandross, Chris Farley, Seth Rogan, this guy named Chuck I work with, me… I could go on lol. Honestly, Mike, I’ve never associated being fat with anything other than poor eating habits and lack of exercise.

Edit: I’ve lost over fifteen pounds since January 4th. From now on, I’m going to refer to it as reducing my threat :smiley:

I don’t think I have ever seen a fat person with Edges. They usually have rounded corners.

;D

1 Like

Ok, I submit to your list. However, not that I want this to go back and forth forever, but by speaking about thin frames, the opposite doesn’t always mean fat. I was sort of implying athletic, but I didn’t want to be insulting to the kids who invest so much time refining their throwing skills. That’s all. And at a young age, appearance has a strong impression on how other young people perceive your character (at a glance of course). When I think big, athletic guy, I think football lineman, not yoyos. This topic stemmed from a still photograph where Frank had no ability to express his true character, which leaves it up to the viewer. At a glance, kids like Gentry Stein, Hiroyuki Suzuki and John Ando definitely have a clean image, but I know nothing about their true character. But there’s zero marketing involved in that perception coming across. It’s all about the player’s appearance and skill level. Does that help my opinion come across a little clearer?

BTW, good luck reducing your “threat” :wink:
The holidays were unkind to me and I’ve gained about 10 pounds of menace myself. I had to get new intimidating pants as a result, and I’m using the last hole on my ominous belt. All together I’m one rounded cornered beast. :smiley:

All kidding aside, I’m genuinely baffled by the idea that size indicates threat or intimidation. A person’s image of clean or edgy has more to do with fashion and demeanor than body type.

You keep looking at the opposite of what I’m saying.
I’m not saying being big INDICATES that someone will be intimidating. But they definitely would have an easier time doing so if they chose. I’m saying that the successful players of late are very thin and not intimidating, which leads one to conclude (albeit only at face value) that they have a cleaner image. You stated that marketing is what led to the clean image of yoyoing and not the players. And I felt the perception of the player is what led to the clean image and not as much the marketing.

Well, it wasn’t my goal to create any issue, so I think I’ll just leave it as “I think one thing and you think another”. I’m ok with that if you are.

While I don’t mean to fan the flames, this is absurd…

Vampires. Crack heads. Burglars who need to creep through small spaces. Guys who snatch handbags and flee on foot. Villains who stroke cats.

I’d be more wary of skinny guys, rather than bigger, rounder, slower guys. If you’re taking “big” to mean “athletic”, I’d see this as even less threatening - these are people who are dedicated and have invested in their health, it doesn’t get much cleaner than that.

I agree with this.

I think we will have to settle for that. Hardly a point worth arguing at length. :slight_smile:

We really need to get a group-hug smiley :wink:

[quote=“TotalitarianArtistica”]I have no problem with a clean image, but I have no problem with an edge either.  I think there is room for both…and everything in between.
[/quote]
I agree with TA on this. I think there is a lot of diversity in yoyoing, it just seems that the outside world doesn’t see enough of it. All they know is what the well known companies (Duncan, Yomega) have pushed at them, which tends to be this “yoyos are for kids, yoyos are F-U-N” image.

A bit less of this:

And more of this:

Wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Nothing against the players in the duncan video, they’re all amazing, but it’s the way they’re portrayed that reinforces the current image a lot of laypeople have of yoyoing.

1 Like

I like those examples. I prefer the second video, the darker imagery, the music is not “pop,” and an underground sound. I know that it’s not what draws in the masses for marketing purposes. But, more of that second video is what I want to see.

this is phenomenal, I congratulate you in making the news.
Keep doing what you’re doing man, you’re doing a lot for the yo-yoing community and for yourself too!

And, posting it sparked one of the best discussions in the general section lately.

Back when I started playing yoyo - the videos that inspired me most were the old Brazilian videos. Guys like Whip and Titi Freak. They appealed to me so much more than the “kids toy” type marketing everyone else seemed to be doing. Finally - yoyoing had grown up.

I agree that there is room for clean, and edgy, and everything in between. It’s a great, clean way for kids to have fun and develop spatial awareness, coordination and learn about science. It’s also a fantastic art form. It is also a great way for older people to exercise their fingers and keep arthritis at bay. Why yoyoing isn’t more popular than golf is beyond me.