Luftverk Alpina?

Oooh I really like this fixed blank idea, just bought one of those to goof around with

2 Likes

Maybe the blanks work well with the Alpina, but I was really disappointed with it in other yoyos. I was thinking about doing a review. I’ll try to get around to that.

2 Likes

Uh oh I just got one haha

1 Like

Haha, yeah that’s what prompted my response!

Hey, I bought 2, so…

I’ll experiment more with mine, maybe I’ll find something that it works in, or get used to it. The short answer about what I don’t dig about it is: Imagine driving a sports car around with the parking brake on.

5 Likes

Haha gotcha. My initial response in these was to use it on a deep state, have you been able to try that yet?

2 Likes

No, I tried it in my Woodboy; which is a blast with a 1/2 spec. I also tried it in my Fianchetto using the axle from my Horizon. I just tried it in my Moonshine. I tried cotton, poly, and nylon.

The Alpina has those big rims, maybe that helps it overcome the drag, though the Fianchetto is pretty powerful. I can’t get the proverbial 11 sec sleeper to happen, and have it make it back to my hand. Even if I try to keep the tricks super short, the deceleration is all wrong = way too sudden.

For stalls and stuff, it just doesn’t feel nice at all IMO.

Have you tried a 1/2 spec in your Deep State? It uses a full C bearing, and the axle is not removable, so I’d think this wouldn’t work in it? Anyway, the Deep State already has a smaller gap with the full size bearing, so this blank would make the gap super narrow.

Remember, when looking for yoyos to try it out on, you have to take the bearing posts into account as well.

I was excited for it too, and that’s why I ordered 2, but it’s a “not recommended” for me. If I figure it out, I’ll definitely come back to declare that I have wronged it! I admit I could just be doing it wrong, or lacking in skill.

4 Likes

We tried bearing blanks a decade ago when prototyping the Flying V. One thing which allllllmost worked was taking apart a bearing and using the inner race like a groove. That was actually pretty usable. I never liked the larger diameter of a c-size blank (even konkaved) as it was just too much area and felt like the yo-yo slowed unnaturally quickly. BUT that was back when my approach to fixed was more based on 1a concepts and before stall tricks had really taken over, so…

6 Likes

Yeah, I could see possibly getting used to the deceleration, if I just played that style with it. It feels wrong now, but if I keep tryin it, maybe I’ll come around?

I think I’ll have to try that with a bad bearing!

3 Likes

Yeah the thing was it was never as good as wood. I kinda came to the place where responsive metals do what they do really well and fixed is its own separate realm. I like them both for what they offer. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah I realize now that I said it, probably not on the deep state. Maybe it’ll be good in a Sherpa or the Thing, who knows.

3 Likes

Yeah, those 2 are ready candidates.

I tried the Fianchetto, because it’s slim, and the the bearing posts are short. It’s too V-shaped in the catch zone to be very good at stalls, though.

As to the Alpina, it really does have a great industrial look to it! Normally I find myself more interested in the cool finishes Jeffrey does, but I wonder if I would like any finish better than the raw on the Alpina?

4 Likes

Yeah I missed this one! I think it’s sold out already or I would’ve gotten one

1 Like

Nice. I really like the 55 responsive. Probably won’t be shooting the moon with it because it bites back harder than the Deep State. Unresponsive on 55 is okay.

The 47 is where it’s at though. It plays well for an undersized pocket throw and challenging as unresponsive.

I tried the fixed axle bearing in a Deep State and noped out of that real quick. The throw either came up too quickly or died immediately. It was a little too unpredictable. Might be better in a lighter throw, like the Weekender.

Edit: Thanks to @oscar_chuntonov for the Alpina cake idea. The tolerances between the two is insane. It fits so well that I’m afraid it’ll fuse into the ultimate yoyo if left alone.

12 Likes

Glad you guys are enjoying it! My favorite for EDC is the XP47.

The bearing blank was a challenge. As Ed pointed out there is a lot of surface area on a standard C sized, which is why I went with the slim sized bearing instead. Feels MUCH better IMO. I still prefer the half spec bearing though.

Congrats on figuring out the stupid easter egg. Feels so nice to pull em apart, and feeling that super satisfying suction effect.

10 Likes

Dumb question here, but how would one go about getting an AMS Alpina? Are they all claimed via pre-order already or is it possible to buy one on day of release (which is when, exactly)?

1 Like

Day of release; date/time hasn’t been announced yet.

There’s a little giveaway on Luftverk’s Instagram going on right now.

3 Likes

But where will they be purchasable? I’ve never tried to buy a Luftverk before.

1 Like

Via their store - linked in their Instagram.

3 Likes

I buckled under and got one of these.

I do like it, but it is more intimidating to throw responsive than the Deep State, because the rims are so much chunkier. It’s a little scary when comin’ back atcha, at least in full size (55mm) form…

5 Likes

Thinking of getting the Daytona - nice rounded edges compared to the Alpina

3 Likes