Looping lube?

I have a set of loop 720s and a set of loop classics, and I had no idea what to lube them with since some people say thick lube and some people say thin lube, and I wanted your guys opinions and how exactly different they are

1 Like

Both honestly.

Thick lube is my default I have a bunch of yomega brain lube (super lube rebranded) However thin lube works too.

It depends on your preferences gap, string thickness, string length and lubricant all play a role in how a looper plays.

You use thick lube on transaxle loopers though.

2 Likes

Oh ok
Right now I only have thin lube, would it be worth getting thick lube for looping?

Yes. I use waterproof grease in loopers. The tiniest amount. There’s Traxxas grease which is for RC cars, or you can use the Danco stuff from your local Home Depot (waterproof or silicone grease. They’re the same).

2 Likes

Experiment. Add some thin lube see if it works the way you want if not then adjust. Note the faster longer spin might need shorter string to control

1 Like

You know I’ve never greased a looper I bet it would last longer than lube. I have to relube after maybe 10 ish hours of play (which takes me a few weeks to get 10 hours of looping in lol)

I re-lube every 3rd-ish string change, but I do them all in batches :grin:

1 Like

Does lubing loopers make a difference? I’ve been afraid to lube mine. Use all my loopers unlubed.

Yes. Players all develop their own strategies and preferences, and some players run dry bearings. In general the goal is to get either a more consistent response or just a response feeling that the player prefers.

Maybe I try it on a set I don’t use all the time. I assume it slows the loop down a bit. I feel I have to do really fast loops with dry bearings to keep the string tension in the right spot.

If you’re unhappy with lube you can always clean the bearing with acetone or mineral spirits.