Looking to purchase a wood lathe for turning yo-yos

It depends on the bits you are using. If its a standard twist drill bits, then that could work OK. If they are brad point bits, then not so well.

Good to know! I plan on using stand points for axle hole drilling and brad points for response dimple drilling.

Brad points are great in wood working for through holes, but you need a backer board to prevent tear out.

They are not the best for partial holes because of the centering tip.

2 Likes

I use them for partial holes, but I don’t use standard Bradpoints, a different kind.

I would say that standard bradpoints are excellent for partial holes. Even preferable.

2 Likes

I use 1/8” bradpoints to add little countersinks on the fingerboards I make. Works well but of course that’s tiny and only going about a mm deep.

8 Likes

That looks sick. When I was a kid we used to laminate layers of cardboard and wood glue. Cut out deck artwork from catalogues and use grip tape offcuts

3 Likes

With this kind of headstock extension could you paint the face with whatever sealant is the best texture for holding double sided tape? Then you could use whatever material is cheapest and least time consuming to work with.

For sure, but it would have to be a finished that sticks to the wood very firmly, otherwise it will peel off when you remove the double sided tape.

Alright, I’m going to take the plunge tomorrow and attempt to turn the mount for these pucks. Depending on how it goes I may even stick one of these on there and give it a whirl.

Think I may have made a bit of a mistake using 1.25” thick wood for these. I figured it would just give me a bit more wiggle room for any mistakes, but sheesh it takes a while to hole saw these pucks out with my under powered Harbor Freight drill press.

11 Likes

lol, ya dang that’s thick!!! Where are you doing this work? Roof top or storage space maybe? :thinking: either way looks fun bud!

1 Like

The back patio at my work when no one’s there haha.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see what you come up with! Need to get me a small drill press or come up with a solution that doesn’t involve me using the one at work on my breaks (and bringing a random plank of wood to work)

lol being the guy that keeps showing up to work with planks of wood is a solid reputation. After turning some of these I may just invest in a cheap band saw.

I’m just the guy who shows up to work with yoyos…takes 2 or 3 out of my pocket at our security checkpoint/metal detectors…and my coworkers are following suit as they just got into yoyo :smiley:

3 Likes

Randomly got the day off work today and figured it was as good a day as any to bust out the lathe for the first time.

Final product came out a bit too small (about wood-z size) and a bit uneven. But hey, it’s a process!

13 Likes

Such an inspiring thread. Looking forward to seeing what you’re able to cook up in the future!