Looking to purchase a wood lathe for turning yo-yos

@Glenacius_K @vegabomb Do you have a preference on tool length when turning yo-yos? I’m currently deciding between 19” (48.26cm) or 26.5” (67.3cm) overall length.

The 26.5” looks and feels a bit long when I hold out a measuring tape, but maybe it doesn’t matter and I can just hold further up the grip area if it feels that way while turning? Or is there a benefit to having a shorter grip area when turning smaller objects?

2 Likes

Longer is better. This is because you can hold the tool firmly to your side while turining and move your body, not your hands to make cuts.

You can do this with shorter tools, but its more difficult.

The shorter tool you mentioned is still plenty long enough and if its carbide, it will never become shorter.

4 Likes

@Glenacius_K nailed it.

3 Likes

So if it is between 1/2” and 3/8” carbide tools, which do you think would be best? Ideally I’d order a set with both a 1/2” 90° square rougher and a 3/8” simple turner & hollower… however, I’ll save $100 if I order them in sets of the same size. That being said, if you think it’s best to have both sizes, I can do that too.

Yes, that would be ideal. However, you would be fine with just the 1/2" set.

2 Likes

After waiting a month, it has arrived!

8 Likes

Cannot wait to see how this turns out, been stalking this thread.

Please don’t injure yourself :smiley: fast spinning objects be spooky

6 Likes

I’m super excited about this too. Unfortunately it came on the one weekend I’m unable to mess around with it, but I’m hoping next weekend will be my first trial!

7 Likes

Stoked for you dude! Can’t wait to see what you turn out. Pun intended

3 Likes

Awwsome

2 Likes

I like others am lurking to see if this is in my future. I do have space in an exterior closet.

3 Likes

Currently trying to find the best way to easily move it in and out of my house between uses. But dam, this thing coupled with the stand is like 130lbs.

4 Likes

This is why I haven’t set my lathe up. I’ve had one for over two years, I think, and it’s still sitting in the box. What I wouldn’t do for a nice shop… oh and time, yeah, time would be nice too. Haha.

Maybe a couple cheap skateboards? Or just mount two wheels from harbor freight on one side of the stand and wheel it around like a dolly.

5 Likes

I’ve done that with both my radial saw and my jointer. Wheel them out as needed.

3 Likes

Was very pumped and ready to start turning the block I’ll mount the blank yoyo pucks to. Then I realized… I don’t have a face shield! Sadly I’ll have to start up again once it arrives.

7 Likes

You’re smarter than I. I would have gone for it without considering the risk.

2 Likes

Sunglasses!!

1 Like

I heavily debated that. Then I had the image of a large shard of wood impaling my cheek pop into my head and nixed that idea.

2 Likes

I know nothing about wood turning, but you’re actually starting with a square block?

1 Like

For the record Grendel was KIDDING about using sunglasses as safety equipment kids. That’s called a joke in some parts. Use only osha approved personal protection equipment, properly sized and fitted to your person. Thank you for your time.

2 Likes