Linux Ubuntu 13.10

So I just installed Ubuntu 13.10. Is there anything cool I should do with it?

Play it?

Lol

Do you know what Ubuntu is? It’s an Operating System.

Just enjoy it and realize how much faster and more open it is!
Also try out other desktop environments like KDE, XFCE, LXDE and Openbox!

Is it broken, or not do what you want??
If not, then don’t fix it.

oh yeah we have that! just some far warnings though

1. it hard to download mine craft on it
  2. check out some of the downloads for it there are some good video editing software on it

Cowsay man.

1 Like

sudo apt-get install python-pygame
sudo apt-get install wesnoth

install conky too, cause it’s useful

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg libxine1-ffmpeg gxine mencoder libdvdread4 totem-mozilla icedax tagtool easytag id3tool lame nautilus-script-audio-convert libmad0 mpg321 gstreamer1.0-libav

My other go to Linux installs are matplotlib scipy and numpy. If you’re that way inclined.

that’ll help too

Check out gnome-look.org for beautification ideas and I also recommend terminator and amarok.

That is all.

1 Like

And sorry for the double post, but I’m going to disagree with an admin. I know, it’s crazy like. But my linux experience is, if it ain’t broke, then tinker with it :wink: Then when it breaks, fix it again…

4 Likes

What he said^

How is downloading a single .jar and double clicking on the file hard?

2 Likes

Java had a recent update that made security even more annoying. Could be that?

The default ubuntu software manager is horrible. Using the terminal or Synaptic feels much better.

1 Like

If you’ve installed a Linux or UNIX system, surely you have to terminal? It’s what makes the world go round.

Better than CMD…

Also, in case you guys were wondering, I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.10 on different Hard Drives.

Enoy it but for software depending on what you are doing and how much disk space you have alotted to your dualboot. Check out Dream studio it is a script that turns ubuntu into a great av editor and creator thing. It is better than ubuntu studio because it’s manager for Jack is easier to use and just works alot better even with my usb sound card mess I used it with. It is basically KXstudio with the app selection of Ubuntu studio.

My review: http://www.mc-tron.net/2013/05/dream-away-dream-studio-review.html

edit: IDK I kinda of stopped following ubuntu so it looks like Dream Studio is for 12.0.4.3 the LTS release, but if you like games Awesomenauts is a great game with Linux support.

steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/204300/

1 Like

I definitely need to give your site a read.  However, right now, I need to get a better graphics driver.  After I downloaded and installed TF2, I started noticing buggy textures.  Lines and stuff will appear randomly on the screen, and some textures wont load, or will load incorrectly.  I tried downloading NVidia’s driver (NX8600GTS way overclocked) for Linux from their site but it doesn’t seem to work correctly.

Any suggestions?

I believe Ubuntu may actually provide you with the appropriate proprietary drivers. Look for an ‘additional drivers’ section or something like that and you should be able to get hold of an NVidia driver that way. Maybe. Worth a punt…

install it by following this guide: Ubuntu 13.04 - installation Nvidia driver - Ask Ubuntu

also Awesomenauts is not graphically intensive at all.

Neither is TF2…