Let's talk string centering vs flat.

We’re talking about adding layers, though. As layers are added, the string will get pushed outwards. Into the response. Varying degrees of recess are had in various throws, but none are “super” deep.

Other points still stand: there isn’t actually an insane amount of friction between layers. You’d have to have a really grabby string.

If we’re talking about “anecdotal” (non-scientific) evidence, I can say this: I was in the middle of a session when I decided I had “enough” of profiled bearings. My strings were grabbing and bunching during a multi-layered trick. “Dangit, people have been right all along!” I thought to myself and unscrewed the yoyo halves.

As you’ve already guessed, there was a flat bearing in it. :wink:

I’m not strictly advocating for profiled. I love flat. I’m just saying that people overthink this or attribute too much influence to the profile of the bearing. I really do believe that flats are better for trick binds and such, and I really do think profiled are giving me longer spin times due to less friction with the yoyo wall (there’s always a wall, even if it’s a low one). I also genuinely think this whole claim about “string bunching” is brought about more because it SEEMS to make sense than because it’s actually messing people’s combos up.

But at the end of the day, people make much ado about nothing… grab a reliable bearing and you’ll be fine, whether it’s profiled or not.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that it only happens around the fourth or fifth layer that you start to feel it on string centering bearings otherwise the bearings operate almost the same

I myself feel that neither bearing improves performance though over the other

duplicate :stuck_out_tongue:

On a yo-yo with a maxed out gap I think they can be lame, as they contribute to the “thunk” at the end of the string. This was especially noticeable to me with a rounded bearing. However, I really enjoy a Buddha Whipple in my Set Sail and notice significant gains in spin time and stability without there being a tradeoff in noise or smoothness. Terrapin bearings exist that have a groove that’s subtle enough to where it’s hard to see, but they also do an excellent job of centering, while the bearing itself is still as awesome as you’d expect. The shape of a Center Trac bearing is cool in that there’s a wider flat surface, but the inclines are pretty aggressive and really lower the response, so bear that in mind. Also the eight ball ones are notorious for being loud, rough, and locking up. Haven’t tried the newer ten ball ones, I’ve heard nice things.

I like smooth and string centering (im gonna call string centering “SC” in this post) so instead of making a new thread:
Since I like SC and smooth bearings, are there any grooved smooth (10 balls) bearings? I know there is a Buddha bearing, I think Whipple, that is. Is there anymore? Also, my friend keeps on saying the crucial grooved bearing is amazingly amazing, do you guys like it? Thanks youuu!!!

I kk everything. They sometimes have backspin issues but it rarely causes a prob for me anymore.

Tonnes. The Whipple, Ripple, and Simple are 10-balls from Buddha. I think only the Dimple is not. Twisted Trifectas are 10-ball. G-Squared Rage. Center Trac-X. The old Crucial grooved was like a flat with a groove in the middle. The new one is essentially like a Twisted Trifecta, which is a good bearing (don’t see how the Crucial would be much different).

I have concave bearings in every one of my throws. I really hate it when I read a post calling a concave bearing a “beginner” bearing. I totally disagree. The reason yoyo’s started off with flat bearings is because that was all that was available at the time. It wasn’t until Frank Dif-e-yo starting modding bearings to be string centering that people started to see what could be done. Just as yoyo design has improved over the years, so has bearing design. I absolutely hate when I use a flat bearing and the string rubs against the response. I never have that issue with a string centering bearing. And yes, I have a very good throw. Personal preference maybe, but there is a reason most every high-end Japanese yoyo company ships their throws with a concave.

2 Likes

#thesethingsdontdoathingonthissiteandyoureonlymakingyourselflookdumb

You’re obviously trying to imply that string centering is better and they really both perform at the same level. It’s exactly what you said. Personal preference. If it really was that big of a difference I’d think one drop would already be using them.

Yes, I am suggesting that string centering is better. It “centers” the string, keeps it away from the response and helps to keep the yoyo balanced. I think it would be hard to argue that it doesn’t do those things. But if someone else prefers a flat bearing for easier binds, then hey, more power to you. I think many manufactures ship with a flat bearing simply because it is cheaper and keeps production costs down.

It may center the string but that doesn’t help with the balance of the yoyo unless you have a sloppy throw.

U and V groove bearings have been around long before yoyos had bearings.
They are just called “track bearings” they run on rails used for liner motion products.
They were popular in 2002 when most yoyos had pad response, not recessed silicone.
I know of no prows that use them.
Correct me if I am wrong…

I’m a fan of them. Of course, I’m no prow. :wink:

Yes, U and V bearings existed before yoyo’s had bearings, but none in the popular “C” size until folks started modding them on a lathe for use in yoyo’s. If you are referring to “pro” players using concave bearings, I would estimate around 75%+ use some sort of concave bearing for competitions from what I have seen. Also, every Japanese yoyo company I know of ships with concave bearings for competition use. But in the end, it does come down to personal preference and their is no “right or wrong” bearing, just personal preference.

I’m using in all of my yo-yos some kind of centering bearing, it just for me always improve play over flat bearing. Mostly I use chinese trifecta bearings, but in some yo-yos centrac is better fit.

Most Czech Pros uses some kind centering bearings, same for majority of world pros I know.

Those have been here as long as difeyo has been around which I think started in 02 or 03 so it’s been here for 10 years. Please provide your source on the 75% as well

From Yoyofactory Ask.fm

Agreed :slight_smile: The majority of pro players I have seen were using a string centering bearings of some sort.

As far as I can tell, a crapbucket of pros use string centering bearings. Off the top of my head I can immediately name Shinya Kido, but I know I come across mention of all kinds of pros using string centering bearings… like all the time… I doubt it would be hard to find pros using flat, either, but I still think the majority are using centering…!