Let's talk string centering vs flat.

I only use string centering bearings. Is that bad?

No.

I mostly play flats. My throw is pretty decent now, and I am usually fairly centered on the bearing. I can do anything I want with a flat bearing. I do play shaped bearings as well

Now, if you’re using a shaped bearing to try to correct a mechanical problem(read: your throw of the yoyo is poor), then using string centering bearings is not going to accomplish your objective.

At the same time, if YOU are happy with the performance and feel of the bearing(s) you choose and their placement in a particular yoyo, then honestly, it’s nobody’s business but your own. I say play what you like. Who cares what other think!

The only time it’s bad is if you’re using something you don’t like or feel uncomfortable with.

1 Like

I mainly use string centering bearings as well. I truly love the buddh ripple! I really do think a high qualitybearing will improve play and a string centering bearing increase spin times and stability.

Yeah spin times on all my main throws are at or around 1:30 maybe 2 mins if I crank into it. Is there really a way to keep the string off the walls of the yoyo with a flat bearing? I have centre trac Buddha whipple (V cut bearing with 10 balls my fav) a few crucial grooved (8 ball always cleaned and nicely lubed nice and smooth as well) an a few kks.

You’re trying to address a mechanical problem(not enough time throwing) by using a string centering bearing.

Just keep throwing. Over time, those spin times will increase. More practice is what I would say is your best way to address the issues you’re having. That and maybe less lube.

Plus, 2 minutes of sleeping is way more than enough. If you can get through your combos fine, you’ve got enough sleep time.

Lmao nah I’m fine with my throw it’s sleeps plenty. This was more of an opinion thread.

I like both. A good throw can’t center a string, though. There’s no physics that will allow that loop to magically go to the center on a good throw for a flat bearing! However, on a good straight throw it’s not going to be rubbing on the walls/response. Not that anybody should just be watching the yoyo sleep at the end of a string anyhow. :wink:

I have yoyos that I prefer flat bearings in. I have yoyos that I prefer profiled. Sometimes to mix it up I’ll throw one into the other and be surprised at the results! Mainly, I just like discovering reliable low-maintenance bearings of any shape.

1 Like

Wait the string is supposed to be centered on the bearing? Because either I didn’t read this well enough or I just didn’t know.

String Centering bearings kill my gyros.

#Flat4life

Nope, it’s not bad at all.

For some people, a flat bearing is completely sufficient and works just as well as a concave bearing. Maybe the tricks that they do don’t really depend on a centered bearing.

For me, however, string centering (specifically difeyo konkave bearings) make a real, noticeable difference. My tricks have a lot of back and forth movements from front to back, as well as many directional changes, so a string centering bearing means that I get a good 50% more spin time and I can depend in the yoyo tilting less.

Some people like flat bearings, some people like profiled. Both opinions are completely valid and it mostly depends on what kind of tricks you do.

1 Like

CenterTracs

They so loud though…

1 Like

Mine are almost silent.
What even xD

I have three 8ball centre trac and did paper slip cleaning two got much quiter the other one just a lil bit might have to go back through it one more time. I have 1 10ball came in my arctic circle amazingly silent.

And I have loud 10 balls… I just don’t understand xD

Correction:
CenterTracs properly lubed and treated.

Lots of back and fourth would be worse on a string centering bearing since the string rubs on itself and doesn’t allow for layering

That’s kind of a myth. Or at least one of those things that sounds like it makes sense, but doesn’t bear out upon critical thought.

Exhibit A: where is there going to be more friction: string segments against themselves, or against the response pads?

Exhibit B: how many types of strings are actually fairly slick or at least slick enough to allow rubbing to occur without bunching up? The vast majority. We’re not playing with cotton here! Some strings are better than others in this regard, but very few will actually grab one another as layers go past. Tricks off the wrist mount would sure suck if you had string segments that were that grabby with one another!

Exhibit C: Even with a flat bearing, strings are layering and rubbing against one another. It’s not a perfect ecosystem in there where every string politely moves out of the way for the other. So regardless of string centering, there IS bunching happening already with flats. You’re not avoiding it. Yet you may have more inadvertent binds.

Exhibit D: This is admitedly an ad-populem and therefore hardly logically valid; that said, while many pros are using and enjoying flats, plenty of pros are using profiled bearings as well. Both are probably equally valid platforms and depend on play style. If your style relies on a lot of trick binds, stalls, or this emerging “pocketwatch” thing, you might want to use a flat bearing so that you can engage the response more easily. If not, you might enjoy longer spin times (assuming your technique is clean) with string-centering.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen longer spin times with string centering bearings.
Also most throws have a flared gap so that the response isn’t touching the string anyways. Along with the fact that most responses are flat to the wall or recessed it shouldn’t be touching the string