Let's talk Nylon Strings

@codinghorror @MattB

I will admit, of all of the brands of poly that I have tried, YYSL ammo have been very pleasant to use. I have one strung up to my Wedge, and I really like the way that it feels. It’s not the best for whips and slacks, but for certain of those elements it works just fine and forces me to slow down a bit making my style a little bit more flowy (which I prefer anyway)

I don’t really like the way they feel with aluminum yo-yos, but I can appreciate them. They are some of the more solid and durable poly strings that I have tried. I have about 3 hours of solid play on one of them already, and I’m going to see how much longer I can push it before it’s totally worn out.

See code? I can be reasonable sometimes… lol. Thanks for sending me some too

Great work too Matt, btw

1 Like

That’s what she said

1 Like

Lol I wish, that would mean there is a she :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t see nylon strings having significantly different volume than poly strings? They tend to be more “Fat” or “XL” thickness, but that’s about it.

See that’s what I’m sayin’ … thicc string = best string!

I don’t mind the wooly nylon blends, I think they may not be my jam overall but I can understand the pros and cons and I do think they bring something good to the table – and I wish more “big brand” string companies would experiment with nylon ala One Drop Long Cuts.

Which reminds me … I remember you saying you didn’t like the Long Cuts, any specifics? To me they are kinda quirky, but quirky in a way that counteracts my personal complaints with nylon (slippiness).

3 Likes

Two strings with the same mass can have different densities. Same way two strings with the same volume can have different densities. Kinda hard to thoroughly explain

2 Likes

You saying we’re to dense to understand? :rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t like the poly they use in the blend. The poly wears out before the nylon does and makes them feel soggy.

I much prefer trilobal in a blend because it is not like other polys, it has a lifespan similar to nylon.

3 Likes

Got some Airetic strings. I can see why people really like them. I’m having a little trouble adjusting to the bounce or “recoil” that the strings have but in most tricks they are great. I guess to say the issue is bounce is misleading because the only time I have trouble is with tricks that involve a lot of hops or crossing hands, so the string contracting during those periods without tension I think is what throws me off. It’s not anything to do with bounce at the end of the string. If you are a speedy player, I can imagine these would be heavenly. All in all they are great strings and unlike anything else that I’ve played. They don’t go nuts on whips like some nylon strings, just generally well behaved. And sooo smooth on the fingers

3 Likes

I haven’t tried any of the newer nylon strings; that I can remember, I’ve only ever tried Alchemy, Angel Hair, and G String. I found them all awful to use. Alchemy was decent but they were way too short.

I’d need some serious convincing to make me stop using YYSL.

I’m interested in Airetic, though. I’ll have to pick up a pack sometime. Still waiting for someone to remake Bungee Cord :’(

One thing I do with yo-yo strings after I cut them is singe the ends with a lighter so they don’t fray.

I noticed one odd thing with Nylon – it stinks when you burn it. Not like poly is exactly pleasant to smell when it’s burning either, but Nylon hooo boy does it ever have quite the stench to it when burned!

One hidden advantage of this, if you can’t tell if a string is nylon or poly, singe the end a bit and smell. This also works for Cotton, which has a strong parchment smell and kinda actively catches fire in a way that neither nylon nor poly do at all.

1 Like

So now you have another con to add to your list of your distaste of nylon: IT STINKS!

Lol, kidding :yum:

Another way you can tell the difference between nylon and Poly, is to look at the way the thread frays when you cut it. Polyester should look like several individual strands of thread, and nylon looks really fluffy and fuzzy, like a little puff ball.

2 Likes

This is true unless you make the mistake of buying bonded nylon to try to make your very first nylon string out of. It did not feel good on my fingers.

2 Likes

Oof, true. But typically when you buy strings you’re not buying bonded nylon. It’s usually some kind of textured nylon like wooly, bulky, or maxi lock.

2 Likes

I love ‘em. I agree with a lot of what was said.

Some nylons behave better than others as far as string tension is concerned.

I love the extra slick feel that is rough on the hands at first, but milds down after a while.

I love the bouncy feel that too relaxes after a while… I personally wish that they would stay bouncy… but…

They really are worth it to me, in terms of longevity (yes they really do months) and playability.

I mess around with cotton and poly but my choice is nylon. And I only throw the other two as a novelty every once in a while.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to try them, got some on the way finally. I love the bounce.:alien:

I wouldn’t recommend them for fixed axle or 2A play which is what is going on here.

Pff you losers still buy string. I moved on to dental floss long ago

6 Likes

how do u make yours

The earlier posts in this thread are reminding me of how good the forums used to be… Sigh. I want the good old days back. :pensive:

5 Likes