Let’s talk 3D printing

So does this game use the same board as normal chess or is it completely different from normal chess?

1 Like

A little different from western chess:

shogi-1

8 Likes

My custom shogi set is finally complete:

11 Likes

That really turned out beautiful.

@gregoryfromearth 3d printed me a custom stand specifically made to hold my AL7 Banshee a year back…in the best color in the world even! :smiley:
It rocks…Gregory rocks!!!

5 Likes

Finally finished another two-month long project:

3-inch Kings. Yeah, these are just traditional chess pieces. Nothing terribly special there. However, by designing/modeling them myself I got to be in control of the exact size, shape, color, and weight of the pieces.

9 Likes

Very nice job. I love chess! What do the pieces feel like? Are they really hard or soft? I never actually touched something 3D printed.

1 Like

Resin is a very hard, sturdy plastic. I applied a few coats of high-gloss acrylic spray to add even more durability and a premium look and feel. I also designed them to take a metal weight in the base to add stability. I am very happy with the way they came out.

5 Likes

Those look great!
We’ve been into chess lately, and that’s a project I’d like to do, but won’t get around to. (Or I will, and the kids will be totally over chess.)

1 Like

About the kids…you never know! My dad taught me to play chess when I was 8 or 9 and life got busy and we have not played in decades and It’s difficult to find people to play these days but I have the chess set and board my dad taught me with. The set you make may get a lot of use and then get buried and become an heirloom that one of your kids plays on with a friend 40 years from now as he or she proudly tells their friend of how MY DAD MADE THIS SET! Craft stores make cheap, nice wood boxes that could hold the pieces nicely.

2 Likes

I would want to do something less traditional looking, but every time I start to design a set, I get stuck at the knight. I never come up with something so asymmetrical that both looks like a knight, and that I like.

1 Like

What do you use for the weight?

An M8 (x1.25) stainless steel hex nut. The base I designed for these pieces has a threaded post that the hex nut screws onto. That plus a bottom cap/cover and some E6000 glue keeps the weight in place.

4 Likes

I’ve got to ask you @zslane, but have you designed a yoyo to print out with your 3d printer yet?

(I understand that this has probably been asked before!)

Um, sort of. I designed a pretty generic prototype just to see if I could make something, anything, that was playable. I designed it to take side effects (to make my life easier) and Duncan performance rings. The results were, well, mixed. It plays but it is very vibey and doesn’t spin much longer than any other cheap plastic yoyo.

I found that, at least with my resin printer, tolerances just weren’t tight/precise enough to yield a truly excellent playing yoyo. Plus, there is no good way to orient the print such that supports don’t mess up some critical surface of the yoyo.

4 Likes

It looks dope, I couldn’t say that this yoyo was made in a 3D printer.

Yeah, that’s totally understandable. I can’t model people/animals/creatures very well, so I rely on sites like Thingiverse for such things.

2 Likes

Looks wise, I think it is quite impressive! Reminds me of the Rally by onedrop. Good idea to use the side effects.

Maybe the resin printeright be better suited for a fixed axle yoyo.

Looks good though!

Ah, a threaded post is a great idea. I wonder alternately about a threaded hole, with a bolt.

1 Like

Anyone have experience with the “ArcWelder” extension in Cura? Seems like it should be helpful for printing yo-yos. If you’ve tried it did you notice a difference?

2 Likes