Learning 4a With a Regular Yoyo

Yo someone on here was saying they learned to bind 4a by tossing a yyf whip a few hundred times. Where you at? I just got really curious about 4a and think I want to try to learn some basics w my whip.

What does a yoyo need to be used for 4a? Small gap and able to handle getting dropped a million times, but is there anything else I should think about? Also what kind of string should I use? Will decent bulk poly work? I will get a 4a yoyo eventually, but I wanna try to whip the string at the whip and bind it real bad.

I think it is quite useless to practice 4a with a 1a yoyo, the gap, the sizes, the bearing is all completely different, even the return system while are still pads are different.
You can try to start experiment with the whip if you want but also the bind with the whip will be a bit harder to do cause the ā€œnormalā€ bearing so probably you will have to ā€œloop twiceā€ around the bearing to bind properly, strings you can use the same as 1a itā€™s ok the bulk poly.

There are many 4a yoyo very cheap (if I am not wrong there is one magic yoyo for 20$), I do not know this world very well, I can do some 4a tricks and the experience with a 4a yoyo is sooooo much more satisfactory and nice, I would say to invest in a 4a as a starter and then keep going from there, is quite fun honestly!

1 Like

I like doing things the hard way and whenever Iā€™ve done that with yoyo stuff, Iā€™m always happy that I did. I know that players were doing 4a with 1a yoyos before 4a was a real thing and I just want to try a few basics like Iā€™ve literally never thrown offstring. I will get a 4a yoyo eventually, but I think I would rather wait and buy something fancier maybe. Iā€™m not sure yet but Iā€™m going to play outside later and see if I canā€™t figure some basic stuff out.

Yyf has the flight snd sky dancer on sale for 15 right now for a may zing might be worth trying for that if you got the funds and shipping isnā€™t terrible for you.

The whip can be used for anything itā€™s nearly indestructible and not terrible. Toss in a half spec style bearing and go to town worse case you learn to bind in 4a on a smaller yoyo and get really good at 4a and beat up your 5 dollar whip a bit.

1 Like

Okay itā€™s so cheap so I will grab one rn but Iā€™m still trying w the whip bc Iā€™m curious hah

I got a flight off the Bst for cheap on a whim. Throwing 4a is odd it feels wrong at first idk. Itā€™s neat and binding your first time after launching the yoyo across the room a dozen or three dozen times feels awesome. Thatā€™s about all Iā€™m able to do at this point is bind the off string yoyo but every time I throw it feels so strange when it leaves the string on purpose.

1 Like

I heavily disagree with this.

A half spec C bearing will give you very similar gap width to most modern 4A yoyos. Some tech oriented 4A players will even opt to use full width C bearings in 1A yoyos to do 4A tricks with actual dense string layering or max spin time.

Thatā€™s a very specific niche, but to call it useless I heavily disagree with.

I learned 4A on a Sage classic with a half spec C bearing. Some random old 1A yo-yos like the Dark Magic even have a history of being used for 4A in competitions.

Like I said, itā€™s niche but itā€™s absolutely not pointless. Instead of wasting money on a 4A yoyo to try it out, itā€™s not any harder to learn how to throw/bind/do lots of tricks on a plastic 1A yoyo with a half spec C bearing (A bearing yoyos are also good).

7 Likes

Are you talking about the whip bind? Like toss it up and whip the string under the yo-yo to bind it? Thatā€™s probably not the first bind you should learn. Iā€™ve learned a few basic 4a techniques pretty consistently, but the whip bind is pretty tricky, and considering a big part of it is landing the string in the gap, which would be harder with a smaller yo-yo, Iā€™d recommend learning a more basic bind and also how to fast wind a 4a yo-yo first.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s what I want to do but I have to learn to throw it and catch it on the trapeze first and should watch some tutorials(havenā€™t watched any yet). I probably will learn a simpler bind first so that it is less annoying, but whipping at the yoyo is what I want to try the most.

Do yourself a favour and get a 20$ 4A Yoyo before you torture yourself and lose interest. Also with a normal 4A Yoyo the first steps are not super easy.
Every failure means pick up your yoyo from the ground!

2 Likes

hah good point! I ordered the flight and might wait until that arrives to try it! I just got curious today

1 Like

Itā€™s super fun if you got the basics down. I am sure you will enjoy it.

2 Likes

You can 110% learn 4a basics on any regular 1a yoyo. I learned on my protostar many years ago lol, long as you double wrap your binds most of the time youā€™re fine. Actually with XL string you might be fine with regular binding idk havenā€™t done it in a long time. Itā€™s cooler than learning on any regular old 4a yoyo :wink:

Edit: this is actually sounds fun today Iā€™m gonna throw some 4a with the protostar so I can show ya itā€™s fairly easy

4 Likes

4a tech players probably already know what they doing, he has to start from scratch and imagine that he wanted to try a whip bind which is already a good one to do with a 4a yoyo and super hard with a 1a where you need more hand/eye coordination.
If he was already a 4a player than I would say yes itā€™s fine but why stress yourself with a 1a when we have so many cheap 4a that are great as a start?

2 Likes

I honestly donā€™t think learning on a whip with a half spec bearing is any harder than starting to learn on a regular 4A yoyo.

After learning the basics, if it seems fun, then Iā€™d recommend going a step up and ordering a Contrail or Unlimited or something instead of getting a Flight. Slightly nicer 4A yoyos are absolutely worth the price, but thereā€™s a high likelihood they become a waste of money since a lot of people will buy a 4A yoyo, play for a couple hours, and then it will just gather dust forever. Instead of wasting money, why not use what you have in hand at this very moment to see if itā€™s something youā€™re interested in going further with.

And even if he did already order a 4A yoyo why discourage starting on the Whip until the actual 4A yoyo gets delivered. I dunno, I just donā€™t see the point in discouraging something that in my eyes is a completely fine way to get into the style.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a couple beginner 4a tricks with an old beat up protostar. You definitely gotta double wrap your binds even with thick string but as you can see very doable!

5 Likes

This was sick! Hah nice w the protostar too! I forgot it was Friday and I got a new TaW to learn so now idk what the I wanna play with later lol imma bring a squad to the park w the whip to try offstring bc Iā€™m just so curious today lol! I listened to some tutorials while working earlier so I think I know what I should work on firstā€¦ gotta start w throwing and catching lol 4a is gonna be good for me to help me stand w bladed feet more like I like to stand w soft knees and bladed feet. I didnā€™t know I liked this until recently but it def helps to have the ability to move around especially w 5a but even 1a and all the 1a has me standing flat footed like Iā€™m trying to get knocked out instead of ready to knock out a trick hah

1 Like

Man I tried landing a whip so many times for this and I just couldnā€™t lol (not the protostars fault), but yeah itā€™s all the same technique as it would be with a 4a yoyo minus the binds. I feel like a whip might bind cleaner though with a half spec bearing anyways so I wouldnā€™t worry about that

Also the whip is like the best non 4a yoyo you could use for actual 4a lol. Dylan Kowalski did a review on it years ago and he just abuses the thing and it still plays just fine

3 Likes

Grippier pads or clear silicone might help? Idk never tried but I feel like more friction is desirable with 4a unlike 1A

1 Like

Idk about friction or anything but definitely could use some silly or just fresh pads. Same ones have been in it since I think 2010-2011? Lol

1 Like